• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

My thought too Fran. If Mexico has not even replied to your complaint, I see no reason you shouldn't be able to start over here directly. I believe the last complaint was filed online to Mexico City and then was referred here. It takes a while to get the documents like the appraisal needed. No one can completely file the complaint online supplying all the documents and proofs all at once. You should have gotten a quick response from PROFECO telling you what additional documents were needed. If you file a complaint in person, normally a notice is sent to the offending party and they must reply and have a meeting very quickly. Often many local complaints over services or deposits paid and work not received, a quick phone call from the lawyers is all that is required. A quick, Do you want to come and settle this immediately so I don't have to write up all the forms and you don't have to pay fines on top? often takes care of things quickly.

In your case it is well possible to believe that the sales people didn't know, but the owners surely knew or should have. It pays to buy from a known respected experienced jeweler as the whole market is polluted with many fakes and it takes a professional to tell the difference. Even with honest people, they may buy a large number of items from the same person who had been slipped a fake too. At a glance, many things are not obvious to a professional.

A local company that may not be loved, but does not sell fakes once was sent an expensive ring with a pink stone. It was mislabeled as to the stone. No one here could positively identify the stone, it was obviously a rare gem. It went back and forth between the trained jewelers who lacked the equipment to positively identify the stone. It was placed in the show case for display while waiting on confirmation, but was strictly not for sale. It was a very interesting piece, but no one would sell this until they could identify with authority the stone. It was

Your piece if besides being not gold, it wasn't even stamped 14K. The return, refund that I assisted was easy. That ring I do believe was real gold, but it was not stamped which made it illegal before we even got to the part that the stones were imitation. The lawyer was happy that I pointed that out as it made the whole case simple. It may be complicated, but at least Mexico does have a process that works to protect consumers. Stick with it all, for the next person that comes along, not just for yourself.

#42 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Fran,

I'll try to get by the office tomorrow and talk with Ms. Santin.

#43 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, nursing,pet lover

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Diva Diver,
Thanks for being willing to speak with Ms. Santin. I'll await your answer.

Fran

#44 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

Charles,
Well it seems Ms.Santin, the lawyer, does not wish to respond to emails, nor does Profeco's web site. I continue contacting Profeco at both places, so you would think someone would get the message. Yesterday I emailed the American Consular Agent, so I will continue to wait and see how or if anyone decides to pick up the ball. For all I know Mexico City hasn't even received the complaint, so I am going to somehow try and start it all over again, sending them another form, along with all the attachments and see what happens there. I can see now why you have to be forceful and somewhat aggressive with these people. Karen is going to try and see Ms.Santin later this week, so maybe that will be fruitful.
Fran

#45 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

Previously Profeco has been very effective, quick to respond and completely free of any political influence. Now I am not so sure either locally nor nationally. I would be nice to if the consulate representative Anne Harris would show a little initiative and contact Profeco and ask why they have not responded to your complaints.

#46 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Profeco is very efficient. I have had dealings with them in regards to the CFE, and they are effective, and fair. But, it takes time.

A few things that will help to understand is that Profeco is here for everybody. We have a population on the island alone of over 72k.

We are in high season, which means even more time is needed to reply to complaints against timeshare shark attacks, fake jewelery claims, to buyer remorse from visitors.

In the mean time, what you can do is communicate with your credit card company. Provide them with the documents from the Cozumel jewelry store, and your documents from a NA jeweler stating that the merchandise is not what it claims to be.

Divadiver is doing everything that needs to be done in your behalf. As long as she has the documents, then it is only a matter of time.

Let the system work for you, it may not happen within the time frame you expect, but it will work.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#47 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks so much for the encouragement . All I wish that PROFECO would do is JUST acknowledge that they received the complaint form....that would at least reassure me that they are aware and doing something. I refiled the form today and are getting together all the documents to send to Mexico City, which are duplications of what Karen and Kandy have, but at least I feel like I am doing something. Kandy will be bringing back the jewelry, Karen is going to try and speak with the Profeco lawyer, so I don't know what else we can do but wait.

Thanks again.
Fran

#48 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

Charles,
I received a prompt email from Anne Harris, but not with much hope. Concern over duplication of work seems to be what Lic Santin, the lawyer is using. I don't understand why a week later, PROFECO in Mexico City hasn't been called by Ms. Santin. All I expected was confirmation that they indeed had received the complaint of 2/12/10 and were proceeding from there. Tomorrow I guess I will airmail another set of documents to PROFECO in Mexico City, since Ms.Santin would not take copies of them.
I will attempt to email you a copy of what Ms.Harris said regarding the situation.

thanks again,
fran

#49 Belinda

Belinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

just searching the web checking on a jewelery store that I purchased something from in Cozumel on February 23 and guess what I read. I suppose it is no use getting the pendant I bought appraised. It would just be too depressing. It is marked with the 925 but that is probably the only thing that is true. does the store sell anything that is authentic?

#50 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Belinda,

What did you think you purchased? Was it suppose to be silver? Fran's piece was suppose to be gold, but was not stamped 14K. Do you have all your receipts, paper work and did you pay in cash or credit card?

#51 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Charles,
I received a prompt email from Anne Harris, but not with much hope. Concern over duplication of work seems to be what Lic Santin, the lawyer is using.

thanks again,
fran

Fran,
As you know, that's essentially the same thing that Lic. Santin told me. I don't suppose that paying her another visit to her is going to yield anything different.

Karen

#52 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

Diva Diver,
I totally understand not wanting to duplicate a case, HOWEVER, we aren't even sure that Mexico City even received it, nor or if they are working on it. Couldn't she at least check and see what the status is....? I noticed somewhere in the PROFECO site, that they said once they received your complaint, you were assigned a case number etc., and it proceeded from there. Last night I went to the extranjeroprofecosite listed and downloaded a complete set of papers, the sales slip, Mexican cert. of authencity, my appraisal from a certified gemologist etc.along with the usual verbage of what happened. Considering I have sent emails at least twice before, not counting the electronic PROFECO form, you would think someone would have the courtesy of an answer.

Again, I do not understand why she couldn't even verify IF the complaint was even received or being worked on. To me that would be consideration.

thanks,
fran

#53 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Belinda,
If I were you, I would contact Lic Santin who is PROFECO's lawyer, cause if you fill out the form online, you will probably never hear from anyone. At least she will have to deal with you and not be able to use the excuse that the online complaint, nulls and voids her doing anything. Her email is asantinprofeco@yahoo.com. Let me know what happens. Of course, you must have proof of appraisal, verifying what you bought is fake. Then proceed from there.
Was it the same store ?

Fran

#54 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Karen,
Something must have worked cause I finally heard via telephone from Anne Harris today, and then found an email from PROFECO asking for a copy of my ID. They even had the nerve to ask for acknowledgement of their email, after only taking 30 days to contact me. No case number was given, so we shall see.

Anne Harris wanted the names of the people who had any of the paperwork in Cozumel, so I gave her your name and contact numbers. I could only supply her with Kandy's email address as I have a stateside number only. Isn't Kandy returning this week to Cozumel ?

Must be the day for surprises, cause I also heard from Visa...they are going to continue the dispute (meaning hold the charge up) but want more information. I have sent so much stuff to them already I don't know what else they could need, but believe you me....there will be a paper trail.

I just hope all MY problems, do not interfere with your life in Cozumel, and just want you to know that I appreciate all your help. Maybe this will be solved after all.

Keep in touch,
Fran

#55 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Fran:

I will be back home (on the island) Friday at noon. I will get everything to Karen that afternoon or evening. No worries.

Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#56 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

Kandy,
You lucky dog ! Glad someone will be where it is warm. Do you have a phone in Cozumel where you can be reached ? The reason I asked is the American Consulate agent asked who was going to have the papers/jewelry etc. and how to reach them. I gave her Karen's name and phone number and your name and email....is that good enough ? You are going on holiday....don't need to be worried about this foolishness. Can you believe it only took a month for PROFECO to reply and then only wanted a copy of my ID. I just want Caribbean Dream to cancel the charge on my VISA and return my $340.00 cash. Now there are other people who bought jewelry at the same store popping up !

What would I have done without all of you. Maybe one day, ya'll can come for a visit to Mississippi.

Thanks,
Fran

#57 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Fran:

Since I'm handing everything over to Karen, it wouldn't do much good to give them my phone number. The process may move slowly... it is Mexico after all. Just be patient and let the wheels turn.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#58 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

Kandy,
You are right as usual....! All of this has finally gotten to me, and when I get fed up, I tend to overcompensate. Hope you are enjoying Cozumel. How long will ya'll be down ? Keep in touch.
Thanks so much for bringing all the stuff and everything else.

Friends,
Fran

#59 Belinda

Belinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

paid in cash. I signed a form but I don't have a receipt. It is supposed to be a tanzanite pendant but now that I think about it, a stone that expensive would never be in silver would it?

#60 Belinda

Belinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

it was the same store for sure. I should have been way more careful. I will get it appraised but right now I just feel like an idiot and don't want to tell a jeweller what I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users