12 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Let's say we were able to stay for more than 2 weeks on Cozumel, what are the steps for bringing a very well-behaved beagle with us? Is there a period of quarantine? We usually travel American Air, are they pet friendly? Do any downtown hotels allow animals, or would we be better off renting a condo? I know we would need all vet paperwork and shots in order, is there anything special besides that we might need? Do outdoor restaurants allow dogs?

Lots of questions, I know, but it is always so hard to leave our baby behind!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

You don't want to bring your dog unless it's small enough to fit under the seat, first of all. If your dog doesn't fit that description, ask for more info re why you don't want to bring the dog -- at least not into Cozumel directly and definitely not during the warm months of the year.

You will have to stop in before you clear customs at the office of animal and agricultural inspection and provide them with the following proofs:

Vaccination certificate showing a rabies shot was administered within one year -- doesn't matter if you got a 3 year booster two years ago. It must have been administered within on year. Also need statement that the dog has been dewormed and is free of both internal and external parasites. And you need to add the words Frontline and Cardomec (heartworm) to the meds/vaccination documents also.

So: rabies within the year, frontline and heartworm meds administered, deworming done.

Letter from your US vet stating pet is healthy but they won't be able to read this in Mexico most likely. Attached the vaccination records to which you must have your vet add all that information I gave you above. Heed my words well or you will be very sorry. I bring my dog in and out several times per year so I'm totally up on the requirements and without them, you'll sit in the airport a couple of hours waiting for a local vet to show up and readminister rabies, heartworm, frontline, etc.

I can't tell you which places take pets. However, they're no longer allowed on the beaches so no long romps in the surf for your baby, I'm afraid. Many beach clubs don't allow pets either. I know Palancar doesn't, for example. You'd be fine if you kept the pet in a carrier going just about anywhere, I'm sure. But letting them out? Only at outside restaurants.

I sympathize and always try to take my little poodle with me when I travel. But I'm not sure Coz is a great bet.

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the info, Carey and Paula! Looks like Sadie stays at the dog boarder (sigh) unless we stay longer than a month. Not sure I can cram her under the seat at 23 lbs. If I could, does she have to go thru the Xray machine for carry-on?

Oh well, nothing ventured...

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

a short legged dog of 23 lbs would probably fit in the medium-sized, soft-Sided Sherpa carrier I use. Poodles have long legs for their size and my own 21 lb poodle couldn't possibly fit in that carrier. But a dauchie would. Just lie about the weight. I've never had an airline employee even glance at my carrier or ask to see the pet inside. They only care that you pay. And the fee on Continental is $125 EACH WAY. They're not exactly giving it away.

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

We have two Jack Russell Terriers. The biggest one, 22lbs., can still get into his Sherpa bag. If you can't get your dogs down here I would be happy to rent you one of mine. :)

Cozumel Diving

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

I shall start training Sadie the Wonderbeagle. Will try to cram her under the seat of the Jeep.

Nope, didn't work.

OK, CZMDM, how much for renting a Jack Russell?

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

The most I can pay you to take him is $10 a day.

Cozumel Diving

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Deal!

My other thought is to stencil TSA on her orange raincoat, let her sniff a few suitcases, and act like she's an air marshal.

#9 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

I bring my dog down on American every couple months. The rule is less than 20 lbs., no one has ever weighed her. A few times out of Chicago, they have asked to look inside and make sure she can turn around in the crate. Some condos allow dogs, ours included. The restaurants that allow dogs are...Guidos, Kinta, La Mission, La Cocay, Casa Denis, maybe more I don't know of. Those that won't are...Pizza Rolandi, Mission, La Choza, that I have personally experienced. Good luck.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

That is very good info. Thanks!

At the restaurants you mentioned where you've taken your dog is the dog in a carrier or walking with you on a leash?

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

Diverdi, is your dog in the cabin with you, or do you check her? What kind of crate do you use? I read Continental had a max height of 8 inches for under-seat crate. No way Sadie would fit! Carey and Mike refer to a sherpa, which I imagine is a squishy crate and would probably be more comfortable.

Thanks All, for the info!

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

The largest crate that will fit under a Continental seat is the Medium-sized Sherpa bag. It actually stands closer to 10" but because it's soft-sided, it will compress to push under the seat. It sticks out about 5" and there isn't a whole lot of room for your feet. However, the stews have never given me a problem about it. Go to your local pet stores, find one that carries the medium sized Sherpa brand pet carriers and see if the super beagle will fit. The large sized bags won't work but the medium just fits if you do a little bit of scrunching and shoving.

Also the middle seats seem to have the widest space followed by the window seats. The aisle seats where I usually sit, the carrier will fit there but it's tighter and leaves no room whatsoever to tuck your feet around it.

Good luck!

If the pup fits in the carrier at the store, I'd stuff him in there and cart him around the store for 15 minutes or so and see how comfortable he is. Also at the airport be sure the dog is already zipped into the kennel when you hit the check in counter. Oh, and be sure to have a print out showing you've paid your dog ticket online because Continental loses those about 3/4 of the time but if you have your receipt, they can find it quickly and check it.

I've seen pretty big dogs stuffed into carriers. I saw one once within the security area of the Houston terminal that I couldn't imagine how she got him in the bag. He was happily walking around next to his carrier and the owner looked happy too. That was a mixed breed that had to weigh more than 20 lbs and his legs were pretty long, too. My old poodle is about that size but I just couldn't see sandwiching him in that tightly. He definitely would not be able to turn around -- even with effort.

#13 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

Great advice! Thanks Carey!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users