4 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

I apologize in advance, as this is an old story, but we are seriously addicted to this island!

I booked Cozumel in August for a December trip (was it 2006?). We watched in horror as Hurricane Wilma swirled and swirled and destroyed, but we ended up going anyway.

Flight was uneventful. We were greeted by one of the nice young men in a starched white shirt in the airport who whisked us to his station and gave us a map with a free car rental. He ended up sitting outside our hotel the whole time we were there waiting to give us the timeshare tour. Dang, were we stupid.

We got our rental car (previously booked), but being almost computer illiterate, had no clue where we were going. Got to the Navy base in the totally wrong direction. Asked where Suites Colonial was, and the really nice soldiers had no clue what we were asking, no English, but one kept saying "Rojas! Rojas!" He brought out a red scarf to show us he meant the red light.

We finally found Suites Colonial, and after being up since 4 am, dragged ourselves to Casa Denis, where Baltazar made us feel right at home. Back at the hotel, DH fell asleep, and I went back by myself for another order of Yucatan tacos.

We snorkeled Dzul Ha (now Money Bar) and Playa Corona. Going back the second day I was enthusiastically embraced by one of the beach waiters, who exclaimed "Senora! I knew you'd be back!"

Directly across from our hotel was a jewelry store where I bought some fantastic silver pieces that I have not seen anywhere else. Mikey, the owner/manager? (who is now in Playa) insisted that he would give us a gift when we were leaving. We got a fine, well-wrapped bottle of tequila to tuck in the luggage.

Probably the clincher for us was, as we were rolling our suitcases down the street and dreading going home, a well-dressed businessman turned to us and said,"Thank you. Thank you so much for coming."

The reefs are coming back. We keep coming back. We love this place!

#2 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

I love it too. You have captured some of the reason why, in addition to the awesome diving, why I keep coming back to Cozumel... the warmness of the people, the delicious food, and the way that I instantly can get into a relaxed state the minute I step foot off the plane.

Can't wait to see you guys. Looking forward to the Yucatecan Tacos (Pibil) and Margaritas, too.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

That was sweet, Dawn! And you get the gold cup for being the first to post a trip report in the new, resurrected forums. You got us off to a great start! Thanks

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Bill and Carey! Would love to hear other trip reports, old and new.

So how many Interwebs did I win? (Reference to Lolcats or somesuch...)

BTW Bill, it's pibble

#5 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

dawnb,

It would have been '05 when Wilma did her dance on the island for days.

Cochinita Pibil must be what ku_hawk is referring to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users