• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

We are coming to Cozumel from September 4-13th. :D We have never been in the fall before, when the ocean water is so warm. What are the chances we will encounter the thimble jellyfish/sea lice while snorkeling this time of year? :blink:
In the past we have always come in late December or late March, and didn't have to worry about these creatures.

Anyone recommend the use of Sea Safe?

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

The thimbles are a spring problem.

Cozumel Diving

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

never encountered Sea lice...what are they, and what should I look for?

What are the symptoms if I do encounter them, and the solution?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

I have been attacked by little jellies. There is also a black sea fern that breaks off and floats around and gives a nasty sting. Sea lice are actually something else. Did some research and I think the ferns might be hydroids? I get them every time. Even in Dec. Feels like a burn while in the water. I accused one hotel of having bedbugs because that's what the rash looks like: a string of red dots. Took several weeks to go away. I am super susceptible to skin allergins. My husband is hairy so he doesn't get them. Maybe stop shaving your legs...I find that wearing a long sleeve rash guard helps. Didn't seem to be as big a problem in July this year.

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

pee and or vinegar are the remedies.
there is a gel called andantol which helps soothe the sting if you do get stung. found at all pharmacies.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 DocVikingo

DocVikingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

never encountered Sea lice...what are they, and what should I look for?What are the symptoms if I do encounter them, and the solution?

Hi Coz2wonder,

Dealing With Sea Bather's Eruption (SBE)
http://www.awoosh.co...Vikingo/SBE.htm

Regards,

DocVikingo

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

Very good article, DocVikingo. I have used Safesea and did not find it effective against the black sea fern stings. Does seem to work for jellies. I usually get stung on arms and legs, thank God not under the swimsuit! Ouch!!

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Doc, great information, and solutions

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the information everybody. :) Will pick up some vinegar when we arrive. I will be on the lookout for the black sea fern too!

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Of all the stinging things that are common to the waters around the island (thimbles, fire coral) I find that the stinging hydroids, both black and green, have the very worst and longest lasting sting. The pain and itch of almost all stings can be off-set with Claritin.

Cozumel Diving

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Mike, would any antihistamine work? How about Zyrtec?

#12 DocVikingo

DocVikingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

Hi dawnb,

Yes, antihistamines like Claritin, Zyrtec, Benedryl, Allegra, etc., all should provide about commensurate relief.

If you want to go with a topical as opposed to a systemic medication, check out Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Cream.

But whatever you use, don't expect miracles.

Regards,

DocVikingo

#13 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Dawn I have never used Zyrtec, but found that Claritin worked much better for me than Benedryl. I have had weeping sores from thimbles and Claritin usually dries them up in a couple of hours. I do not like using topical solutions on stings because many stings are runny and I find it better to try and dry the infected area up as opposed to putting a salve on it.

Cozumel Diving

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Good to know, DocVikingo and CZMDM. Thanks! I asked about Zyrtec (generic) as that is what I take NOB. Never thought I needed it in Cozumel as my allergies are non-existent there, but it will accompany us on our next trip. I may try the Benedryl cream on the hydroid stings as they don't weep, but sure itch like crazy. And look like bedbug bites...

Hope this helps you too,jsmflake!

#15 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Can SafeSea be purchased in Cozumel? If so, where?

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Sea Lice? I have yet to see a fish with hair...?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Heck I'm still freaked out by "dawnb" suggestion of females not shaving there legs!!!

And I'm pretty sure peeing on the sting only makes the one doing the peeing feel better, however I always tell my friends it does...

#18 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

My boyfriend is highly allergic. He ends up with blistering welts that end up breaking and weeping and all the while itching. He also experiences general malaise and a low grade fever.

That said, we have done quite a bit of research and tried everything we can think of. Here is what seems to work for him - A full body suit. He has a 2mm wet suit. But a body glove would probably work as well. Seasafe lotion. Removing swim wear and rinsing in fresh water as soon as possible. Just those steps alone have decreased the amount of eruptions he gets tremendously. But one other thing that seems to help more than any antihistamine or hydrocortisone cream is tea tree oil. But it needs to be applied as soon as the welts appear. We unintentionally performed an experiment to prove this. I suggested trying the tea tree oil when I saw some of the welts appearing a few hours after he had come home from a dive. I applied a little to each of the welts I saw with a q-tip. However, my nursing skills are pretty lacking when I have been vacationing with friends all afternoon. So while I applied a good coating on one arm, I didn't do so well by the time I got to the other. The first arm never blistered and did not itch with the same intensity. The welts were gone in a couple days. The second arm did blister. An application of tea tree oil after it had blistered helped to dry it and relieved some of the itching, but, we learned that timing was very important.

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

seems a little extreme... in that crystal clear water, just stay away from sea weed
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users