Celebrating our 25th!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Looking forward to our next adventure and exploring Cozumel!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

We will be going to Cozumel for the 1st time in May 2011 for our 25th. We both love to snorkle and are looking for a place to stay to just be pampered and relez. Seeking suggestions from the experts! B)

#2 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

Do you really want to be waited on "hand and foot" or do you want someplace to relax in private and do as you wish? We prefer the latter, and stay at Condumel north of town, right along the waterfront. There are only 8 large one bedroom units with stocked kitchens. There is no pool, but the snorkeling is some of the best.

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Playa Azul in the north offers some great packages and their rooms all face the ocean...they have a nice pool and beach area and the water is fantastic...Don't go to an all inclusive place, the food at times isn;t that good and you will want to come into town and explore some of the local culture and foods...what dates in February? check out times for Carnaval...there are parades and dancers and always a great time on the island...enjoy..
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Oops I thought you were coming in Feb...sorry but May is very nice as well..
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#5 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I know I will get all the necessary information here.
What are your thoughts about AI - Cozumel Palace or Aura Wyndam Grand Bay? B)

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

From what I've heard from those who have stayed at AIs, the food is questionable and drinks are watered down. Yes it's all paid for, but...

Cozumel Palace is right next door to El Cantil. While in the pool a couple of weeks ago, I chatted with a group who comes down to dive for two weeks every year. One of them told me that they had stayed at the Palace last year and were less than pleased. According to him, once the cruise ships docked, the pool area was overrun with people who got day passes - he described it as being elbow to elbow. While there, he and his group looked over at our pool which was quiet and only had a few people. They booked at El Cantil this year and will again in the future.

I've not personally stayed at an AI because I want to enjoy the island and the culture. Just my personal choice.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

WHAT - they give day passes to the cruisers? Does that mean we get to use the pool on the ship?
That just ain;t right :angry:

#8 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I've stayed at Iberostar on the southern end of the island several times. The food is good at the buffets and at the restaurants, and the drinks are normal (not watered down). The staff is attentive and friendly, and the rooms are well kept. One possible con that I can think of is that it is far away from town/civilization. But this would be easily remedied with a car or scooter rental for the day to go explore. It is also far enough away, that you won't run into the day pass crowd.

I personally love All Inclusive resorts (if you are at a good one). You don't have to do anything but relax, and if you feel like doing things, there are plenty of tours and excursions to choose from, as well as daily activities that are put on by the staff. Iberostar also has a dock with a dive center, and they offer free intro lessons to SCUBA in the pool.

I cried the day we left :)

#9 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

Playa Azul, Cozumel Palace, Iberostar and El Presidente are all worth researching. Playa Azul and El Presidente are not AI.

#10 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

hi i think you should try hacendia san miguel on 10 (calle) street. it is a beautiful small hotel one block from ocean. no pool but thier sister hotel is right on melgar(water front) with a roof top pool that you can use. it is close to town and very nice. also if moving hotels is not a big deal to you there are serveral 50-60 dollar hotels in the main plaza. also all inclusive hotels on the island offer day packages from as little as 30 dollars. also may is low season here so rates should be good. have a wonderful trip.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#11 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

We had a great experience at Aura a few years ago. It is a very small, intimate all-inclusive and the fact that it is adults only might be a good fit for your anniversary celebration. Tripadvisor has good information on the resort.
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#12 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Aura =

http://www.wyndham.c.../CZMGB/main.wnt

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#13 taw

taw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Golf, playing with my puppy, and diving

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

I have never seen The Palace pool crowded from cruise ship passengers and have been staying there at least once a year since 2006 (we will be returning in May of 2011, maybe we'll see you there).

The food has always been very good, along with the drinks, and entertainment. I highly recommend you check out this resort of you want to relax and be taken care of by excellent staff.

Cheers!

#14 ebvacationer

ebvacationer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

We stayed at the Aura less than two years ago and loved it. We have just now booked a trip for February to stay at the Palace. (Do hope the cruisers are not there taking over the pool tho - as someone else posted!)
The reason we decided to stay at the Palace this time instead of the Aura was just to be staying somewhere different. It's close to town and we thought we could just walk down and try some of the restaurants, bars, shop a little, etc. and get more of the local feel. Plus still enjoy the pool sunning and reading.
Re the Aura - it is beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Word of warning re the rooms (which are all fantastic) - the ones they advertize as having a pool are actually rooms with very narrow stairways up to the pool - which is a lap pool. Also, the swim up rooms are nice if you are with a crowd and would like to visit, but if you are by yourself, I don't think they are quite as private. We looked at all 3 types of rooms and ended up staying on a second floor room with a balcony that was very private. The sunsets are to die for at the Aura! The food was great! And the beach is wonderful! They also give diving lessons right there in the pool and the scuba boat leaves from their deck. The divers that went on the dive said it was unbelievable!
The pool bar is fun and the food good there also. Didn't walk far enough down the beach, but I believe Carlos and Charlie's is now within walking distance if you like that. The larger Wyndham in the other direction on the beach (which I understand you have AI there also) was not very updated but I understand it is now an adults-only so maybe they have done some much-needed renovations.
Oh yes, the bellhops (actually all staff!) are very helpful and got us a cheap taxi hired to bar hop around the beaches one day - lots of fun!) And we also did the dophin trip - Fun! Happy anniversary and hope you have a great time.!

#15 16th and counting

16th and counting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

If pampering, luxury,great service, the very best place to stay on the Island, as far as I am concerned would be the Presidente hands down, 16th time in coz 13 at the Presidente great beach and the best snorkeling right out the front door of your room.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Isn't Aura part of the old Reef Club complex now under the wing of Wyndam and the subject of a seperate thread quoting the US Consulate in Merida warning about an outbreak of Legionnaire's Disease? If I have that wrong, jump on my face and I'll remove this post so as not to scare anyone off.

#17 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

I stayed at Playa Azul for my 30th anniversary; it is my favorite place to stay. Small with only 50 rooms, full breakfast buffet; we love it there. The picture on their website home page that is taken from the balcony was taken by my husband. I am the one down under the palapa with my knee up. I submitted the picture in a photo contest they had, didn't win but that is ok. Postcard view from every room, just beautiful!
Cindy

#18 Iguanagirl

Iguanagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, scuba diving, animals, exercise

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi -- We have been going to Cozumel for many years now and lately we have been staying at Hotel Cozumel. It has always been clean and the staff very friendly. The pool is nice and big - no swim-up bar, but it is right next to a nice little bar that is staffed all the time. The food is ok, we have never gone hungry and the drinks are very good. I particularly like it because it is close to town and I like to walk around and shop and visit with people on my way. We do the AI just because it is more relaxing and not that much more in price. Then we can eat there or walk into town for something different. We also like the snorkling right by the pier. We are divers, so we have been diving with Dive with Martin for so long that we didn't want to change when we started going to Hotel Cozumel. The do have a nice dive op on the property, but they never seem to mind that Dive with Martin comes by to pick us up at the pier. I highly recommend this hotel - we feel very much at home there! Have a great trip wherever you stay - Cozumel is the BEST!!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users