• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KP_At The Beach

KP_At The Beach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hello. I have been reading the forums for a long time, however I just created my account. I'm hoping that I can get some good advice on Immigration and legal representation. I have gotten several recommendations over the last two years to no avail - I either receive no reply from the lawyers or they're not specialized in the areas I need. I am looking for a lawyer to assist with FM3 and forming a corporation. Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, KP

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Well, KC we have formed 3 corporation here, and always use Gisela who is our lawyer.

A Corp will cost a minimum of $3K usd's, and a minimum of $1,200 in accounting fees to maintain, yearly.

The more business you do, the high the fees.

However, it will include your working FM3. The neat thing about having your own corporation is that you can subcontract out (if you choose) and it does not count against employers headcount.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

. . . The neat thing about having your own corporation is that you can subcontract out (if you choose) and it does not count against employers headcount.

Sorry to but in on the topic, but I'm curious about your comment above. Why is it a good thing to be able to subcontract? Sub contract what? And what is an employers headcount and why doesn't this count against it?

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

You don't need a lawyer at all to get an FM3. And a corporation can be formed with a special notario like Ricardo Lesama that only handles corporation set ups.

I would contact Monica Sauza via email about this. Tell her what you want to do exactly and she'll help you with what she can and direct you to the right person on the island to assist you with the rest.

Her email is: mosag@prodigy.net.mx

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

my SA de CV cost me 15,000 pesos via a notario. just like cars, you can shop around. some notarios will do it for more.
accountant fees are about right, just like paula said, depending on your income.
if you speak enough spanish, you can do it yourself. if you have a trustworthy friend who speaks spanish, they can go with you to help with interpretation. using a lawyer (which is a perfectly good idea, it will just costa ya a bit more), is simply paying a middleman to make it a bit easier.
totally depends on how you want to do it.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 KP_At The Beach

KP_At The Beach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

Thank you all very much for the replies! My Spanish is not great (though it is getting better!), and I like things EASY - That's why I'd prefer to hire someone to make sure it gets done right.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

Monica is a middle man. She is a very pleasant, very honest woman, has specialized in immigration matters here for forever -- everyone in the American community knows her or OF her-- and she is an official government translator. Speaks perfect English as her second language. I repeat. Unless you speak Spanish very well and know your way around the sometimes peculiar way laws can be interpreted on the island, use Monica as your advisor and she will direct you to the proper lawyer or notario if and when that becomes necessary.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ricardo Lesama is excellent, and we also use him, and his brother quite a bit. They are both lawyers.

What you need to determine is how much YOU know, and how much you can manage on your own.

To form a corporation here, you need an FM3. You need to ask what services will be provided with any Lawyer you work with.

Yes, Ricardo is less expensive, and does speak English, but what does the price of service include?

My husband goes directly to Ricardo when it is a Mexican national, who knows the rules, and regs. He suggests that a foreigner use an attorney who will explain, in detail each step of the process.

Does it cost more, YES. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.

IF you are a novice, IF you have never done this before, then formulate the questions, and ask before you make a commitment to anyone.

However, to be able to formulate the questions, you do need to know a lot of stuff.

The way we have managed here for the past 8 years is because, we use a lawyer.

She takes care to set up our corporations, and FM process (which you must have if you form a corporation)as well as ensure that all T's are crossed, and I's are dotted.

Also, if you own a home, you MAY be able to put that into your corporation, and when/if it is sold will avoid the capital gains taxes. You would be selling a corporation with assets, not a Casa.

If you only want an RETIRED FM3, then Monica is the person to go too. She knows a lot about the processes here, and may well be worth paying her to DIRECT you on what and whom you need to be working with.

As to another question that was asked "Sorry to but in on the topic, but I'm curious about your comment above. Why is it a good thing to be able to subcontract? Sub contract what? And what is an employers headcount and why doesn't this count against it? "

Let me start by saying that Mexico (as well as any other country in the world) has an allocation of foreigners to national that can work in a business. For example, Mexico allows 1 foreigner to work for every 10 Mexicans.

If you have your own corporation, it is the Mexican Corporation that will be hired, not the individual (who may be foreign).

Counting against headcount. That has to do with the ration of locals, to foreigners.

This is also a common practice in the US as well. In my case, I was allocated in my budget to hire 20 workers, but I needed more. I would hire a sub-contractor to fill in the gaps. I did not have the "fiscal burden" when hiring subcontractors that I would employee, and they did not take away from allocated headcount, or budget.

A fully burden employee is very expensive. That is why many of the jobs (like call centers) have gone off shore.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

A Corp will cost a minimum of $3K usd's, and a minimum of $1,200 in accounting fees to maintain, yearly.

The more business you do, the high the fees.

It cost me $12k pesos to form my corporation a year ago and I pay $1250 MN monthly for accounting and true if you do more biz it will cost you more in accounting and taxess. do more yourself and you will save and will be less likely to be taken

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

Nauticab and Princesses:

I know it might take a little work, but it would really be of benefit to know exactly what the process is/was, and the procedures working without a lawyer to forum a corporation here.

I think people want to know the difference between $1,500 and $3,000 and which type of corporation to forum (there are several) so specifics are important.

I realize Nauticab is a Mexican citizen, and Princesses stated that they hold an FM2.

I would be most interested in both perspectives.

So, my questions are directed at both, from each prospective (citizen, and immigrant (FM 3/2 is long term status, FM2 is immigrant status).

For those who do not speak/write/read the language but what to form a corporation what is the process, and procedures?

Are the requirements different for foreigner then they are for Mexican Citizens. What are those differences, and what is required documentation?

What documents did you need to provide, and in what language? What was the translation fees to start the process?

Who created the documents, and in what language? What would be the translation fees?

Who processes the documents, and to whom?

How much work did you do to complete the process?

Would/Did the process include your FM3/2?

How long did your process, from start to finish take?

What would you have done different? what would be your advice for a foreigner?

Anonymous

#11 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

i did my SA de CV when i was still with an FM2. my accountant went with me and explained the form step by step. i went thru veronica at notario 15 (i think) which is now located near the corpus cristi church on 17.
the standard copy of the info was given to me and i made a copy and filled it out by hand. once we made sure we covered all the bases, i filled out the other one and turned it in. the SA de CV is in spanish. anything i was unclear about, i asked veronica. they had a list of docs to turn in (my FM2, passport, business info, etc), and i gave them around 50% deposit. they told me it would take about 6 weeks if i am not mistaken. 6 weeks later, i got my paperwork, paid the other half, signed it, and left. total was $15,000 pesos, about 5 years ago.
there were no docs in english to turn in. there were no translation fees. there was no proof of income or investment monies...just asked me how much was being invested. docs were copies, and probably a letter or two written by my accountant.

i read and understand spanish and asked when i was unclear. they were patient with me and answered all my questions. the SA de CV has an acct of record and an attny of record, but the attny did nothing other than give his name. the acct helped me with any smaller steps i needed. that is what they are paid for.

i had my FM2 already. they were going to charge about another 3000 pesos if i needed my FM2 done thru them. i had some friends who used them and they were starting from absolute scratch. same requirements i had and i helped them, with their accountant who spoke english as well as the lawyer there who does speak english.

anything different? since i was NOT a mexican at the time, probably nothing. but being a mexican allows me to have a pequena contribuyente which cuts the taxes and accounting fees in half and is MUCH MUCH easier.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#12 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

I too have used Gisella for several different legal issues and have found her to be an excellent communicator (via phone and email).
She is very knowledgeable, timely, keeps her scheduled appointments and her rates are very good.

I would love to hear suggestions for accountants, but I do need someone that can communicate to me in English as I am still struggling with my Spanish. <understatement>

Thanks!

#13 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

I too have used Gisella for several different legal issues and have found her to be an excellent communicator (via phone and email).
She is very knowledgeable, timely, keeps her scheduled appointments and her rates are very good.

I would love to hear suggestions for accountants, but I do need someone that can communicate to me in English as I am still struggling with my Spanish. <understatement>

Thanks!

We use Gretchen Martin as our accountant/lawyer and she has assisted us in our corporation, FM3 renewals, house purchases and any other questions we would have to ask..
her cell # is 987-113-0217 and she speaks very good English...we have referred many people to her.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#14 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

We use Gretchen Martin as our accountant/lawyer and she has assisted us in our corporation, FM3 renewals, house purchases and any other questions we would have to ask..
her cell # is 987-113-0217 and she speaks very good English...we have referred many people to her.

Wonderful. Thank you so much for the information!
If anybody else has a suggestion, please let me know. Always good to have more than one option. :)

#15 CozumelEasy

CozumelEasy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Gretchen Martin has been a Godsend to us. She has helped with immigration and the purchase of our home.  I think her website is:

http://www.GretchenMartinAtty.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users