• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

I have about 4 huge, over stuffed garment boxes of clothing that I need to find a new home for.

The sizes are between 8 and 10. There has got to be over 30 pairs of pants, plus tons of cotton button down shirts, shorts, dresses, and sweaters.

Of course, I would prefer to sell off all of it for $200 usd's, but if I can't...is there a donation center that locals could go to select some some nearly new clothing?

A lot still have the tags on them.

I want to get rid of it all...so it's all or nothing.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

if you put up a sign at a friends house for a yard sale on a payday weekend, i'll bet you get more than that and most all will be gone in an afternoon.
just an idea, and i may be off base, but if you go to the women's center on 11 and 50 (or so, north side of the street just past the sports complex), they may do something to help women get back on their feet with good jobs and need nice clothes. like i said, just a thought.
you know all the other charitable causes here that could all benefit. you could even split it up and donate it in parts.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

The Women Center would be my first choice. If anyone knows a key contact for them that I could communicate with that will be helpful.

These women are in danger, and this is a safe house, I am sure that it is not published where they are at.

Let me know, they will be dressed to the 9's and I will be grateful that I was able to donate to their success.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

what a sad state of affairs...Only Sandy H (who will do a resale of donations) have contacted me.

Not one person, foreigner, or local is interested in donations.

Not one person who is involved with the Women Shelter has made any kind of contact with me.

Not one "Charity", not one group who supports the local interest has made a single effort to find out what I can provide.

What neglect by those people who claim to be helping, on behalve of the people who really do need the help, and those of use who are WILLING to give.

Excuse my frustration, but what to heck is wrong with this picture?

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Paula
Jan Erikson is doing very good work with the abused women's shelter that Dailene mentioned. But I believe she is still off island dealing with medical issues or she would have responded.

Sandy H works with Karen Pedersen and other local women on a variety of extremely worthy projects. Check out Friends of Cozumel. They have their fingers in a variety of pots and are really helping the community as well.

I have a pile of stuff to donate too, just consolidating it at this point. Not as much good stuff as you but I'd like to see it all go to a good cause as well.

#6 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

Paula, I know there are a lot of good groups out there and I'm surprised too. There have been a lot of people off the Island the last couple of months.

Having said that, the Friends of Cozumel are having a bazaar on Oct 1 from 3 - 5 pm at the Vida Abudante Church lot on 90th and Moreles. The proceeds will support projects for the CAM school, NUAFA, Vida Abudante, and a few families with special needs children. More information is available at friendsofcozumel.com

Of course, we welcome any donations. Feel free to email me [ham-rs@hotmail] or Karen Pedersen [pedersenkj@hotmail.com]

Our next mission/volunteer trip is Oct 1 - 8 if anyone has an interest in participating.

Thanks!

Sandy Ham

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Sandy for the kick in the pants reminder...PM sent.

Also, thanks to two wonderful ladies who will be taking a good deal of the clothing back to the states for donation.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users