• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mar

mar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE A USED MOPED IN GOOD CONDITION. PLEASE SEND PICS IF POSSIBLE AND INFO SUCH AS YEAR, # OF KMS, AND PRICE.
THANKS,
CHARLESBROOKS896@SYMPATICO.CA

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

Unless you have an FM3 you will not be able to register the motor, or insure it in your name.

It will stay in the name of the person you purchased it from (not a good idea), and you will have no insurance.

Knowing the above, try the Pawn Shops. Lots available there.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

Unless you have an FM3 you will not be able to register the motor, or insure it in your name.

It will stay in the name of the person you purchased it from (not a good idea), and you will have no insurance.

Knowing the above, try the Pawn Shops. Lots available there.

Actually, you cannot insure mopeds period unless you are financing through the dealership in which case they have an interest to have you insured against theft or collision damage (only as long as it is being financed). I called every insurance agency on the island looking for moped insurance for my brand new moped, no one writes moped policies. I would have financed it if I had known that as the only way to have insurance.

#4 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

Are you talking about liability insurance too? Or just no theft & collision coverage? It would be a scary thought to think that none of the scooters on the island have liability insurance!

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

if the statement that Princessa posted is true, then NO motto is insured here, new or used.

Princessa, do you have an FM3? I can understand not being able to be insured if you are only on a FMT.

I'm with Jester, does anyone know about this?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

if the statement that Princessa posted is true, then NO motto is insured here, new or used.

Princessa, do you have an FM3? I can understand not being able to be insured if you are only on a FMT.

I'm with Jester, does anyone know about this?

FM2 and I own three mopeds and two cars in Cozumel

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

there are MANY financed motos here. how do you think so many folks have these fancy new ones? not because they have 18,000 pesos hidden in their mattress. they finance it and it is quite easy, especially if you have a co-signer. small easy payments every quincena for about a year, or more, depending on the contract. so i would guess there are several insured.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 two ladies & a guy

two ladies & a guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

I am looking to get a moped how do you finance one in Cozumel, thanks for any information you can provide.

#9 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

I am looking to get a moped how do you finance one in Cozumel, thanks for any information you can provide.

I won't prasume to know your legal stattus, but unless you hold an FM3 or FM2 (or are a MX citizen)you will not be able to own and register a moped or any vehicle. If you do not have legal residency stattus in MX, then you would need to have a MX "presta nombre" which means that your moped would have to be in a MX name and he/she would be responsible for anything and everything regarding that moped. That is quite a obligation to put on someone.

#10 two ladies & a guy

two ladies & a guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

sorry about that yes i do have a FM3

#11 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

sorry about that yes i do have a FM3

depending on the dealership (honda, yamaha, etc.) they have different requirements for financing so you need to check withe each place. They all want proof of income (copies of last 3 nominas)+ references, copy of electric, phone or water bill, they check the credit bureau and you will need to have some credit in MX already whether it be a MX credit card, telcel account (not the pre paid) and if you on your house they will ask for a copy of your current paid predial to prove ownership so that you don't need a MX co signer.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

MAR, don't buy anything until you understand what you can resister, and have insurance on your used motor purchase.

He did ask for a USED motor.

Anonymous

#13 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

This all becomes very confusing for people. I do not claim to know what the law says BUT, I do know someone who bought a new moto cash and in fact put liability insurance on it. She did so on an FMT, but now has her FM3.

I purchased my used moto and registered it when I had an FMT, and have had no problems renewing it, but with my FM3.

#14 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

Within the last 8 months, I've helped 2 friends here on FMTs register and reregister motos(new and used). We had no problems...., by the way they are from Canada.

For your specific insurance needs, I suggest you contact Guadalupe Celis Ochoa....:

Guadalupe Celis Ochoa Roca
Asesor en Seguros/Insurance Agent
Grupo Uno - Asesores en Seguros
(Reps 5 insurance companies - Spanish, English and French Spoken)
guadalupe@grupo1seguros.com
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico
TEL: 998-898-4448 - CEL: 988-734-9092

T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users