• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mar

mar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

WE ARE PLANNING TO PUT A SMALL POOL IN, BUT NEED ASSISTANCE IN ATTAINING AN AFFORDABLE AND QUALIFIED CONTRACTOR.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
CHARLESBROOKS896@SYMPATICO.CA

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Mario and Dino built our pool. They did an excellent job.

Pools (depending on the size) costs about $10 to 15K now...

Depending on your conditions (shaded, or not shaded) you will need to figure out if you want it painted or tiled.

We have had paint for almost 8 years and it has worked well. Tile which we do have in the jacuzzi has taken a beating.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

what kind of paint do you have in your pool? we are in the process of planning ours and i'd like options.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 mar

mar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions of Dino & Mario. We are unfamiliar of who these people are or how to contact them. Is there any chance of getting their e-mail, phone number, or address?

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

I would highly recommend Dino and Mario as well. They built our pool and our jacuzzi. Mario speaks beautiful English and can be reached via his cellphone: 044 987 112 4353. In case you don't know, leave off the 044 if you are calling from a cell yourself.
Dino speaks no English but is very accustomed to dealing with people who speak no Spanish and his son, Mario, can always be found when needed to help with translation.

Paula, we used terrajal.com tile in our pool and on the walls and outside of the pool. It is tile specially designed for use in swimming pools and has lasted beautifully in bright sun most of the day in fact. I would recommend the terrajal swimming pool grade brand. We had to bring ours in by truck from Guadalajara 10 years ago but I can't believe they don't have a Cancun distributor by now.

#6 mar

mar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

Our intention was to find a pool contractor, People have highly recommended Mario. As well, it is noted on the Ma and a business's. We were actually hoping to find someone other than Mario. For the following reason, we met with Mario on August 14th at our home in Cozumel. At that time, he was unable to give us a rough estimate, but asssured us that we will get a written quote via our e-mail in 2-3 weeks as we were leaving to go back to Canada. It is now approaching 6 weeks, and no response from Mario. This is not the person I would highly recommend nor get to do any work for us. When we met him, he bragged about all the contracts he had and upcoming big jobs. Any other suggestions?

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Mario doesn't work that way. First of all, he can't do email. Doesn't have an internet connection or a computer and doesn't write English very well.

Second, the Mayans don't give firm prices because they don't know what they're going to run into during the work and don't want to make any promises they can't keep.

If you want to do it the US way with firm prices, perfect schedules, emails constantly back and forth, be prepared to pay US prices and not necessarily get a US standard job. Let us know if you come up with someone better.

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

when i have gotten presupuestos from my guys, including materials and labor, it was firm. no extra costs came in. the cost did not change unless i chose to do something different that the original plan. granted, my guys are paper and pen, for the most part. i just had my palapa built and the cost ended up being LESS than the estimate due to us having guano leaves so they didn't have to order zacate.
i will have to agree with carey on one point however... that for most contractors, you do need to nudge them again for the estimate. i use the 3 strikes you are out with my people. and have changed window people and my electrician/plubmer for that very reason.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

If they give you a firm price, they have to build in extra padding to be sure that if they estimated wrong, they don't end up losing money on the job, let alone barely breaking even. For that reason I've worked all my life on a pay as you go basis for large, many-faceted projects. Some people don't feel comfortable doing that. I prefer it as long as I can find honest, hard-workers who take personal pride in what they do. Mario and his father, Dino and his half brother Santos, the head mason fill this bill and their reputation for all these qualities proceeds them. I mention the whole family because Mario would do the pipes and equipment but Dino and Santos would be doing all the cement work on a pool--including the tiling.

I believe I've gotten the fairest price doing in the pay-as-you-go and SEE how it goes way. And for smaller jobs like an air conditioner installation or a custom iron gate I always get a presupuesto. Just not for the bigger complicated stuff.

I realize a lot of people may not be comfortable with this approach in which case Mario and Dino's operation is not for you. And as to corresponding by email, not likely for pretty much any contractor on this island. If you want that kind of turn key service and communication you might consider Paco Diaz. He will cost you more because you are paying for the services you want -- the firm, printed contract, the hand-holding, the email updates and perfect communication. If you need that level of service and are willing to pay for it, he's one to try.

#10 mar

mar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Carey,

Mario spoke with my wife and I on Aug 14. My wife is Mayan decent, the same as Mario. He promised us that we would receive an estimate through e-mail. Whether he was getting his wife (Maria) or using a cyber location, thatís what he said. The quote was to be in Spanish; therefore he did not require written English. So, we can conclude that Mario lies to his own people, not a person to be highly recommended. It seems that he caters to foreigners more and forgets where he comes from.

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Carey,

Mario spoke with my wife and I on Aug 14. My wife is Mayan decent, the same as Mario. He promised us that we would receive an estimate through e-mail. Whether he was getting his wife (Maria) or using a cyber location, thatís what he said. The quote was to be in Spanish; therefore he did not require written English. So, we can conclude that Mario lies to his own people, not a person to be highly recommended. It seems that he caters to foreigners more and forgets where he comes from.

Maybe he decided he just didn't like you and didn't want the job that much under the circumstances. You sound a little hateful to me with your puzzling conclusion that he "lies to his own people" and "forgets where he comes from" which appears to stem from the fact that he disappointed you and didn't email you a presupuesto.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Mar, what kind of comment are you making "he "lies to his own people" and "forgets where he comes from"

That reminds me of the ignorance some "white fok" said to the black when they made sure they understood their position in life.

If your wife is Mayan, then she would understand how this culture works...

(I have edit my comment)...I think your statement is just plain horrible.

I think Mario needs to get REFERENCE to do business with some of these people!

And Yes, Nauticab, YOU are getting cheap labor, but I am subsidizing it when I use those same recommendations.

It is not what the market will bare, it is what the individual will pay.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

I think he was referring to the fact that his wife is "of Mayan descent", his people, in other words. And he feels that Mario is catering too much to foreigners and forgetting his roots. However, I don't think it's really fair to slam someone so harshly just because they never got back to you via email with a promised estimate. I mean, I can certainly understand being irritated and looking to take my business elsewhere. But coming on a public forum and smearing his name to the extent you are trying to do seems excessive, sir.

As to Nauticab, I used your recommendation for an iron man. Don Rigo worked out great. Fair prices, good work, delivered on time. I haven't tried him on anything that requires precision design as yet but I'm well pleased so far and appreciate the rec.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Nobody threads on Mario.

He has LEARNED to work with foreigners. It would appear from the previous posts that sometimes that is a challenge, and frankly, I am sure he doesn't understand these type of comments.

As for Don Rigo, he is GREAT...is he inexpensive...I have NO idea.

My gates costs me $800 usd's...he delived on my design. EXCELLENT WORK.

Our gates at the entrance to Mariposa Estates where about $1,200 usd's...this is all less the concrete work.

I don't go by "cheap" I go by craftsmanship. In the case of Rigo, he is an expert. I will pay him what he asks...willingly.

Anonymous

#15 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Absolutely! The quality of the work is what is most important. If it's not done right the first time, you'll pay time and time again to get it fixed. I sound like one of my favorite hosts on HGTV - Mike Holmes. I LOVE that guy!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

yep, i just got a palapa built. best quality wood, super workmanship, on time, in budget. could have gotten it for less, but the outcome would have been with rotten wood in less time, and paying double int he long run.
paula, not sure where you got that i was getting cheap labor...cause i pay the regular going rate. some folks charge gringos more cause they can get away with it and the gringos think it's cheap because they don't KNOW what going rate is. don rigo, the iron guy, does not and that is why he has been getting more and more work.
anyone getting ready to build or with major projects.... there is a book, tablador de precios de obra or something like that that is available for purchase and it lists EVERYTHING and how much labor should be. add on about 15% for the maestro de obra (contractor). this book is available in a small office of engineering, almost in front of the university partenon on 11. that way when you get an estimate, you can ask why something is more or less, according to the book.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#17 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'm not sure about having a pool built, but I use the following guys for servicing, and they do a great job, at a reasonable price. Their sign says that they do design and construction as well, so might be worth having an estimate done.

Piscinas y Servicios
Av. 30 entre 5 y Morelos
tel: 872-43-38
cel: 044 987-106-37-47

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users