Opinions: Best place to snorkle?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Looking forward to our next adventure and exploring Cozumel!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Hubby and I are planning a trip May 2011. We have never been and are "fair" snorklers. Seeking opinons on the best places / don't miss spots to go. :)

#2 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Walk around the Plaza at night. Sunday is the best night when there will be more locals. Stop and eat or drink, talk to the waiters, and people watch. We like Plaza Leza for that; it is directly south of the Square. Rent a car and drive around the island, stopping to eat and drink along the way. Visit Playa Azul on Sunday afternoon, listen to the live band, and dance a little. Venture back away from the square and try some of the restaurants. There are lots of recommendations; everyone has their favorites. For a special night, dine at La Veranda.

#3 gcwright

gcwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

I would recommend going down to Playa Palancar and taking their snorkel tour out to the shallower off-shore reefs. $35 per person. I did this back in May and it was excellent. Shore snorkeling is pretty fair at "Money Bar", Playa Corona, La Palapita, and numerous other places along the west side of the island. Many people say the snorkeling at the National Park (Punta Sur/Celerain?)at the southern tip of the island is very good, but I have not tried it.

#4 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

GCWright is right. Playa Palancar and take the boat out to the reefs.
Punta Sur is very good but it's at least a 200 yd. swim out to the reef. They have guys there who will paddle you out there in kayaks. Please tip them. For shore snorkling we go to Corona Beach.

#5 kentuckoz

kentuckoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Punta Sur is great but the reef is a long way out. Unlike other snorkle sites its got a couple of miles of gorgeuos white sand beach. They've upgraded the seating and the snack bar now serves hot food.
Go early on a Sunday and you might be the only non staff there. (no tours in dune buggies from the cruise ships) just some locals later in the morning

#6 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Ditto on Puenta Sur. There are staff that have ocean kayacks (sp?) that will take you out to the reef and give you a tour ($25-30 pp but worth it). I took my time and snorkeled out to the reef, a long way out, but this old fat man did it. The forests of fan coral and swimming with 2 hawksbill turtles which was the highlight of mytrip was all worth it..

Also we like to snorkel around the shoreline at Corona Beach. Buy a Corona and a shot and you can help yourself to a table. Leave your stuff at the tables, and no one will mess with it. Never had a problem at Corona or the other beach bars.

#7 djrio1

djrio1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Not sure where you are staying but just south of town ia a little hotel called Villablanca.. At this area is a dive shop that offers snorkel trips and rents the equipment its called Papa Hogs. Also he runs a small restaurant there with the best steak tacos you will ever eat.. Across the street on the ocean side is a great snorkel spot with a dock and all. There is also a bar here with very cheap drinks and great folks this bar also has a small pool to sit in while you have a refreshing beverage after snorkling they also have lounge chairs to stretch out in. If you're looking for somewhere small to enjoy yourself this is it..

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

djrio- that would be La Palapita...and it IS a nice place. We like it alot.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

The snorkel trip from Playa Palancar is an excellent recommendation. The Columbia Shallows is easily the coolest snorkel spot on the island (IMHO).

Cozumel Diving

#10 chumpuppy

chumpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

I used to snorkel on the east side - lots of coral, rocks and wild fish. We'd see sharks, small grouper, lobster, jacks and lots of other critters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users