• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

I need to have some sofa cushions made. I know of the business on 3 and 65, but do I have other options? I don't need anything fancy, and what are my options for the inner material?
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Well, there's the place on Avenida 30 next to the new car wash. Just north of the intersection with Calle 4. And there's a place on either Hidalgo or Calle 7 1/2 block west of the intersection with Ave 30 on the north side of the street mid block.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

tapeceria christian, on 65 and 19, a block before julio (the vet) on the same side of the street going south. they do good work and probably have the options to show you for the stuffing.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Deco Art is the store Carey was talking about (I just suffered 2 hours trying to remember the name of that darn store).

I have had 2 sets of cushions made there, and their work is above standard. The fabric fits tight, and the seams are very secure.

You can also select the type of foam you want. They will bring out large sample for you to look at, and feel.

Now, my main problem (regardless of where you buy it) is that the foam here is like a ROCK. In fact, I called my couch the Flintstone couch.

Also, Deco Art do a great job of sewing, and mending split seams on outdoor cushions. I had them repair one, and it was $70p's.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Bedrock would be my word for it, too. Good one. It has always eluded me why Mexican upholstered furniture -- and mattresses -- are so HARD. It's almost like they disapprove of people lounging around comfortably for too long. Or maybe it has to do with deep pocketed upholstered stuff being more prone to mildew and bugs. Who knows.

Anyone interested in softer cushions might also want to check with Luh McDevitt. She has great upholsterers but they are kept really busy working on custom orders for her clients. However, she is a really nice gal and I'll bet you she'd steer you to a place where you could find softer cushioning material. If there is such available in these climes. She may just import all that from the states like she does most everything else she sells.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

there is a little trick I learned if you get "pillies" on your fabric. You can use a disposable (used is better)razor and just trim off "pills" off.

It works for any fabric, but just be careful on silk.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks all, great ideas. BTW, someone once told me that the mattresses are so firm because they can't use innersprings here as they will rust.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users