• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

Ok, I have been to Cozumel a few times in the past and have read these boards and have not seen any mention of what restaurants offer any good enchiladas on the cheap. I will be back on the island in mid-November. I see tons of taco places and finger food places where items can be had cheaply..However, does anyone know where I can go to get a good enchilada that won't burn my wallet (or my mouth too much)? I would love details of this enchilada as well. I am an enchilada freak!!! B)

Btw, I must give a shout out to Tres Gatitos for their panuchos...OMG, I could have eaten those almost every day for lunch or dinner! The prices were so cheap, I could not believe I got so much food for so little.

Cheers!
Roxie

#2 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

enchiladas here are notr what you would expect to find in tx or sw usa. pretty much what you find here are enchiladas suizas and mole enchiladas. suizas have chicken and cheese with a red sauce and cream on top. mole is either green or trditional mole with cheese and chicken. they are always cheap and I like either casa dennis or el moro for enchiladas. they will set you bak about $6 - $7usd

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

i 2nd the enchiladas in casa denis. also en las palmas and you get a big portion with the sides included for $55 pesos or so. includes beans, soup, tortillas, and a drink. located on 25th near 3, close to the corner. they deliver as well.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I'm game to try the Cozumel/Yucatan version of enchiladas. I may try one of each! I understand mole is not easy to make and there is a hint of cinnamon in there.

#5 kerk

kerk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

So it would appear that the big question is where is Casa Denis. I found Las Palmas on Google Maps, but no indication as to where the other is.

edited to say - Duh, guess I should have checked Google...

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

in the square, on 1st, around the corner of HSBC bank, walking away from the water. it's on your right.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

You won't see many locals at Casa Denis - like you would at Las Palmas - but it's a nice place to sit outside, take a break, sip a cold one and do some people watching. The pix inside of old Cozumel are interesting too.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#8 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

And the margaritas at Casa Denis are way out there! I think that's why the tourists like it! We go there for a simple mexican meal a lot. The enchiladas and tortas are always good.

#9 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Good Gawd!!! My stomach is growling and CRAVING an enchilada!!!

#10 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I dined at Sabores for enchiladas mole and OMG, the most delicious EVER!! A generous portion with agua Jimaca...The price was very right. However, They were quite hot and you had better be a lover of a little heat before ordering these babies. Sauce was heavy on the hot peppers and topped with crumbled nuts. It was so good, I just kept eating and sucking down that delicious agua Jimica.

I did have a meal at Casa Denis. Was not very memorable. We had some chalupas or something. Unfortunately, Tres Gatitos was closed.

#11 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

We have enjoyed the enchiladas suizas at Plaza Leza, on the south side of the square, but cannot remember the price.

#12 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Roxie,

You need to have on mind two considerations, there are to kinds of enchiladas... The Green enchiladas and Mole enchiladas, they both may burn your mouth a little bit.

Since I´m local I always look for good food and prices. I will recomend 3 Restaurants with address:

1.- "Las palmas" Av.25 With Calle 3 south #498.
2.- "Doņa Toņita" Avenida 10 Between Calle 1 and Salas.
3.- "Mi chabelita" Avenida 10 Between Calle 1 and Salas.

I have to let you know that if take pesos with you will be so much better than dollars and I don't think they speak any english.

Good luck finding enchiladas.

#13 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

You guys need to stop this. I have some serious cravings for Coz right now. As always...

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

I would add Flamitas and Sabores to that list of good lunch places on the cheap. Flamitas 5 doors or so south of Las Palmas on the same side of the street. No sign. Extremely popular with locals also. Sabores is on Ave 5 between Calle 3 and Salas, west side of the street mid block.

#15 Northsidepk

Northsidepk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Tres Reyes in the Municipal Market has killer Enchilada's Mole for like $40 pesos ($3.00 or so U.S.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users