• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

I will be renting from Less-Pay when on the island in Nov. I have heard that they have a lot of well..Older, more dilapidated cars..Some with questionable tires on them, some with battery issues, etc. Has anyone heard of these issues? I am not mechanically inclined and really do not want to get stuck on the wild side of the island in a Geo Tracker..lol

#2 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

We've rented from them twice, and we'll be using them again next month.

The cars are...well, you're getting what you pay for, really. :lol: We had a Tracker the first time and it started and had four tires, but the steering was iffy. It was pretty much the only vehicle they had in when we picked it up, so they said if we were unhappy, to come back the next day and get another one. It was fine (it was automatic, too) and we held on to it. In April we got a Pointer, and I think it was more mechanically sound than the Tracker, but still not a gem. It never let us down and the defroster and wipers worked--we had some heavy rain. Definitely give safety stuff like that a whirl before needing them and finding them not there.

#3 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

I wold be very careful of renting from less pay. there is a documented account recently of an american woman who was a passenger in a jeep involved in a collision. full insurance was purchased as they required and a deductible of $1500 CASH was paid to less pay after the accident. this woman is still fighting with less pay just to get the name of the insurance company so she can file a claim for her $5000 medical bill to the hospital. rumors are that they actually don't have insurance, otherwise, why would they not be forthcoming with the insurnace information? something is not right there. I'm just sayin be careful.

#4 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Well, we've been renting from Less Pay for about ten years, usually twice a year. We get a Geo Tracker and have never had a problem. They aren't the prettiest vehicles on the island but we don't have to worry about getting a scratch on it. We did have one that after a couple of days I noticed it had a cut in one of the tires. We were having breakfast one morning in Rock n Java and John came in so I mentioned the tire to him. He immediately offered to switch vehicles with us giving us the one he was driving. I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them.

#5 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:04 AM

I find it very hard to believe they'd still be in business if they were charging for insurance they don't actually have...even in Mexico.

#6 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

I have rented from John several times with no problems. Like everyone says, not the pretties units, but you don't have to worry about door dings and the such. They are pretty much pieces of junk so you cant hurt them much. We always get a jeep. He is the best price I have found and he has a driver pick is up at the airport and take us to his office to get our jeep. The guy will be standing just outside the doors to the terminal with a sign with your name on it. Great service for not much $$. I will use him again.

#7 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

I find it very hard to believe they'd still be in business if they were charging for insurance they don't actually have...even in Mexico.

ha! you are very naive, and if you think funny biz doesn't go on even with connected small businesses you are wearing very rosy glases. things like this are even easier when you have a wife who has friends in high places. there is a profeco complaint in MX city for this very reason in process trust me i was disappointed to learn of this because i used to rent from john as well before i lived here and bought a car. i am just lucky that nothing ever happened requiring me to need to use the insurance. i'm just sayin be careful

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

A lot of information is missing from this accident and what, if any responsibility Less-Pay has in regards to this particular accident....

As per the account by the person who made the claim, it is difficult to understand who THEY rented from, and WHO the other driver rented from.

As per the actual post by the "victim" she states the following;

"Jenloves2DiveCozumel June 22nd, 2010 9:55 pm posted

A previous question was asked, "I was just wondering you didn't happen to be driving the wrong way on a one way street?"

Jenloves2DiveCozumel response: "I was going through this and I responded. Yes, the driver was at fault and it's all in the accident report.
The driver was on a one-way street back in the neighborhood where they were renting and turned the wrong way out of his driveway to head back to Avenida melgar. It's poorly marked, but that's not an excuse and I certainly didn't notice it either. It's all in the police report file which I will publish.

The big issue here is, that the driver rented a car, paid up front for full coverage insurance and then, after the accident, which he knew he was at fault, paid the insurance deductible
$$ one thousand five hundred dollars $$ thinking that the insurance would step in to take care of the damages and the injured party (me).
Again, I will post the story in its entirety, in another post, but the bottom line is, this company, so far, has NOT provided insurance information of ANY kind to one of their passengers who was seriously injured in an accident and hospitalized. I do promise I
will post it tomorrow. I want to make sure ALL the facts are there in black and white for everyone to see."

No more postings that I could find in regards to this story.

I have not seen the complete story...It would appears that the other driver was a fault, then ran to pay for something, (TO WHOM, AND FOR WHAT?) and the insurance did not pay for someones medical care because the driver who caused the accident did have have full coverage.

What is NOT clear, is who is responsible for the medical, and damage bills.

Jenloves2DiveCozumel seems to be very clear it is Less-Pay...but why?

If the car driven by someone else caused the accident, and THEY did not have full coverage, then it would be on them to come up with the funds to pay for anything over and above what the purchased insurance was.

I think facts are critical.

I suspect, all insurances policies written here are about the same...I would ask questions before I rented anything.

Also, it is always a good idea to buy Trip Insurance to cover emergencies.

My next question would be has this person submitted the medical claims to their health insurance plan, car insurance, credit card, and/or homeowners to be reimbursed?

I will continue to have friends rent vehicles here, and I will suggest Less-Pay as well. I will also suggest that they are VERY clear on what the insurance coverage will cover.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

Thank you, Coz2Wonder. I had read the entire thing on the scubaboard as well, and had trouble figuring out why Less Pay was the bad guy.

My understanding is that insurance covers damage to the other guy, property, etc. but not necessarily personal injury--that's where the trip insurance comes in, correct?

This also can't be the first incidence of an accident with a Less Pay vehicle.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

I just try to use reason and logic to figure things out...

If you look at any rental vehicle here, it's not their first rodeo.

The best way to deal with dents, dings, is to take pictures prior to getting into the vehicle.

Also, reading the insurance contact which is most important...

Yes, Trip Insurance will cover your butt...well worth the pennies it costs.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

it is my understanding that the driver renting from less pay was found at fault but the other driver (a local) also ran a stop sign which is why the deductible was paid. the driver had purchased full coverage according to the rental contract. the big issue is that less pay will not provide a copy of the policy for the renter or victim to even see what is covered nor will they even provide the name of the insurance company. profeco seems to think it is a rock solid case based on there investigation.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

that may be true, as far as the story goes...

There is no mention of a local involved, as per the victims posts.

I am just very cautions about posting information that I only have one side to.

It can really ruin a completely legitimate business.

Anonymous

#13 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

My understanding is that insurance covers damage to the other guy, property, etc. but not necessarily personal injury--that's where the trip insurance comes in, correct?

This also can't be the first incidence of an accident with a Less Pay vehicle.

depends on what policy you purchase. less pay requires that you purchase full coverage which according to them covers both vehicles and personal injury but they will not provide a copy of the insurance policy to verify. this is why they are making themselves appear the bad guy. if they have nothing to hide and everything is on the up and up why not just provide the policy for verification to show that they are or are not responsible rather than go through a profeco claim and possible lawsuit.

logic tells me one of four things:
1. they don't have insurance which is why they won't/can't provide the policy
2. they don't have the coverage they claim to have to there renters
3. they let there insurance lapse and don't want to or can't have a claim filed
4. they don't have insurance and are self insured paying out when there is a problem but this one as bigger than they have funds for

bottom line is why don't they provide the policy if its in order? if they have the policy and personal injury is not covered, why not show this and be done with it? this is what is so disappointing to me and the thing that throws up the flag and that i don't understand if they are in the right.

#14 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

the other driver was a local not a tourist. her husband manages a popular restaurant here but it's not about her it's about less pays refusal to supply proof of insurance

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

sorry, from the victims posts it is not clear to me they where a local...

But, this is a belabored post about things we do not have enough information, nor facts, nor are witness too.

As to the OP question, yes, Less Pay does have beater vehicles, just make sure you get the best one possible, and also...check what the full coverage insurances covers.

That applies to ALL agencies.

Anonymous

#16 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

check what the full coverage insurances covers.

That applies to ALL agencies.

agreed

#17 kentuckoz

kentuckoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

Last year we rented from LessPay and went through three cars in an hour just trying to drivr out of town. Went with Issis this year best VW convetable we have rented yet

#18 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

I like the 0 deductible that Less Pay offers. I don't think Isis has that option??

#19 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

I like the 0 deductible that Less Pay offers. I don't think Isis has that option??

did you miss the part about the rentor being required to pay a $1500 cash deductible to less pay and still being refused a copy of the insurance policy? no one has a 0 deductible that i have ever heard of

#20 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

I *didn't* miss that part about the guy paying the deductible. :blink: But I PERSONALLY have rented from Less Pay TWICE and was told there was 0 deductible. In fact, here's the email I got last September:
----------------------
Dear Christine,
>
> $25 a day with free mileage, 4 door with air, included liability and
> collision insurance $0 deductible and all taxes included for $30 dollars
> a day and IŽll buy the gasoline. I tried to call You and WeŽll call again.
>
> thanks,
>
> John Devries

-----------------------------------------

But I guess third-party internet rumours mean more, eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users