• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

Thrifty also has a zero deductible.. you have to ask for it and pay for it too.. I've actually had a claim once but all I had to do was a 3 sentence accident report and continue with vaca..

#22 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

I *didn't* miss that part about the guy paying the deductible. :blink: But I PERSONALLY have rented from Less Pay TWICE and was told there was 0 deductible. In fact, here's the email I got last September:
----------------------
Dear Christine,
>
> $25 a day with free mileage, 4 door with air, included liability and
> collision insurance $0 deductible and all taxes included for $30 dollars
> a day and IŽll buy the gasoline. I tried to call You and WeŽll call again.
>
> thanks,
>
> John Devries

-----------------------------------------

But I guess third-party internet rumours mean more, eh?

you know, i don't know what your issue with me is other than i simply don't have the same opinion of less pay that you do which is not a crime by the way.

we don't all have to like the same service providors and we don't all have to agree, but i have not been disrespectful to you in any way. I have only done the same as you which is expressed my opinions and knowledge i have on the topic (acknowledging when i don't know the facts on a particular point) and it just happens to be contrary to what you feel. so every time you disagree with me or don't like what i have to say you reply with snarky comments and give my post a negative mark. what gives? i think i am starting to understand all the fuss i hear about this forum and the small click that dominates this board. does no one else have a voice or not entitled to there opinions? my question about whether you missed the part about the deductible was a sincere honest question because i thought maybe you had not seen that. the rentor was required to pay that deductible. my information about this accident is not 3rd party internet rumors. the victim is a friend of mine and i have heard and been party to many discussions regrding the accident. she owns a condo and is on the island 6 months out of the year and has herself always used less pay. many people are upset and disappointed with there handling of this accident and failure to provide a copy of the insurance or the name of the company. again there failure to do so makes them look guilty of something. that's my opinion and i am entitled to it without being attacked.

#23 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

You know, I think I'm going to turn off that opinion poll or whatever it is feature of this new forum software. I don't really see the point of it except to make some people preen and other people mad. UPDATE: the Negative opinions vote option has now been turned off. Positive votes may still be entered, however.

As to this board being a clique, Blue Water, it's true there are a lot of regular posters. But that's going to be true with any well established discussion group.

I, for one, welcome new people and new input and people who have lived on the island for a long time are a valuable resource. So thanks for joining in the discussion and keeping it civil.

So far this discussion hasn't crossed over the line but as I've finally noticed it :unsure: I'll keep a watch out.

I admit to a certain confusion, however, since I don't read other Cozumel-related boards and everyone else in this discussion seems to know the whole story. I take it a tourist is complaining bitterly on another board or boards because he feels he was royally shafted by Less Pay over an insurance issue after an accident. Do I have that correct?

#24 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Bluewaterprincesa, I have nothing against you, but you have been on the slightly snarky side towards me, as well. You've called me naive, "I guess you missed that part about the renter paying the deductible", AND you blithely stated that NO ONE in Cozumel could POSSIBLY have $0 deductible insurance, right after two people mentioned two different agencies that DO (and come to think of it, I believe Isis does too, but you pay more for it).

I do apologize if I've come across as not very nice, but please be assured that I am a newbie and NOT a part of a clique at all. I just seem to be one of the minority fans of Less Pay is all. I've been reassured by a long-time American local on the island, as well as by Less Pay, that their insurance is fine and dandy. I will certainly discuss it more in depth before I sign anything next month.

#25 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Carey, here's the whole thing: Less Pay on Scubaboard

#26 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

These rental car discussions usually start a food fight as everybody has their favorite. So, since there are some newbies reading this post I'll tell a story I've told before. I was in Less Pay one day and a young couple were there with a scooter they had wrecked. She was shaken and had a few bruises but in all the confusion of the accident someone stole her purse with their cash and credit cards. John took them into his office and helped them use the phone to cancel their cards. As far as the damage to the scooter, John looked it over gave them a $ figure and said mail me a check when you get home. Then gave them a ride to their ship and I wouldn't be surprised if he even slipped them a couple of bucks. Anyway, I like the old trackers and don't even consider renting from anyone else although, like I said, there are other hightly recomended rentals. Someday I'll tell the story of John and his cooler full of ice cold Coke.

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

I purchased one of John's beaters about 4 years ago, we affectionately call it the RAT (short for Beach Rat).

It is still running (about $400 bucks in 4 years, not bad for maintenance), but John was great about it. The first year, if something went wrong, he replaced, or worked on it with no charge.

I don't know the skinny on the above situation, nor do I want to know. I think what is important is that expectations need to be correct for ANY type of service you receive.

It is up to the buyer to KNOW before they purchase.

With that said, I will sure be reading any rental agreement for a vehicle, from ANY agency, here or in the world.

That is MY responsibility, and it is critical that MY expectations are set correctly.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#28 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

With that said, I will sure be reading any rental agreement for a vehicle, from ANY agency, here or in the world.

That is MY responsibility, and it is critical that MY expectations are set correctly.

yes, as i said before i agree with this and that's my basic warning is to ask to SEE the insurance policy and verify that they do in fact have insurance before renting or paying for it. one final time because it's my biggest concern i simply don't understand john's refusal to provide the policy as i believe it would close the book on that issue either way. some of the information i know about this accident is from reading Jennifer's accounts on scubaboard and some of it is from talking directly to her and other locals that are friends with her and who have been helping her with different things.

desmei, apology accepted and we'll just chalk this up to misunderstanding without going back and forth as to who was snarky or rude or right or wrong. i am a very easy going person and would like to be around here to offer info, ask my own questions and play in the sandbox as carey says :)

thank you carey for providing this forum and for making us newbies feel welcome and not shunned for our differing opinions :) i have been on the island for a long time but never really got involved in the forums because i am just too busy most of the time so thank you again.

#29 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

I don't know if this may be part of the issue, but: My understanding is that there are two different categories of insurance when you rent a car. One is to cover any person who has been hurt - I think of this as the people/medical part. The other one takes care of the physical damage to the car - the property part. I have not been able to find a car rental in Cozumel that provides zero deductible for the car damage part. I have (including ISIS) been able to get a zero deductible to the person damage part. A couple years ago I rented a car in Playa to go to Chitchen Itza and found a company that did have zero-zero (both parts). But whenever I ask this question in detail to car rental places in Cozumel, I get the understanding that the car damage part still has the 10% value of the car deductible.

#30 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Most people with experience in Cozumel know that there are not just two sides to a story, but quite often three or four. Personally I have rented a car only once in Cozumel and that happened to be from John at LessPay. I did rent that one time for a total of 29 months so it was a bit more than a one time casual rental.

To my knowledge this was only discussed on the scuba board and that thread was long dormant. The accident happened the first week of June. First mention was made several weeks later. The aggrieved party was a passenger in the car whose driver caused the accident. I have no knowledge of the normal legalities involved in a situation like this. The injuried person was supposedly taking the case to Profeco and promised to scan and post police accident reports and assorted documents as well as provide updates. It has been almost 2 1/2 months since a post was made back in late June.

Carey tries to let the forums flow within reason, but when people start to blast people or businesses, it is wise to have all the facts involved from all sides of the situation before jumping to conclusions. Ask Sherri Davis who is on vacation somewhere in the mountains of Mexico or so she says. Before forming opinions and launching into a personal vendetta which could cause unmerited harm to someone or their business, it's best to have all the facts involved from all the different sides. Carey tries to maintain a semi level of civility.

It reminds me of the time long ago when a former forum member went ballistic over a restaurant recommendation that had been deleted. It was a long time restaurant that we all had eaten at and recommended it numerous times. Well the poster went absolutely ballistic bashing this forum over censorship. What the person failed to appreciate, but had been plainly stated repeatedly...both Carey and I had been contacted privately by several completely unrelated sources reporting incidents of food poisoning from under cooked or almost raw chicken being served. Members contacted us privately as they wished to exercise caution before posting the information publicly which would forever remain viral out on the Internet. Since it had been a restaurant held in high regard, all those involved wanted to be delicate in reporting it. Not afraid, but did the restaurant receive a bad batch of chicken, was there a new cook that had not a clue how to cook chicken? There were again, multiple reports of both food poisoning and others that noticed that the chicken served was still pink on the inside, cool and wisely decided not to eat the food. Oh the smoke that flew over that one clouded the whole issue and the situation was resolved without forever tarnishing the name of the establishment that remains a semi Cozumel institution.

I have no idea why there was no further discussion on scuba board as had been promised. If the person aggrieved had made progress or run into stumbling blocks, it seems that they would have provided updates or posted additional information and facts as they saw things. The silence has been deafening.
I could contact John or Ester and get their side of the story which I imagine would be in quite contrast. I don't feel any personal need. Would I rent a car again for a second time from John at LessPay? I certainly would, but I doubt it would be a several year rental as before.

#31 judydivescoz

judydivescoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

Personally, I would not rent from LessPay given the information that has been posted unless they provided in advance their insurance information. I would not risk the rental company not being properly insured. Even with an email confirming price and insurance deductable, its not enough. My husband has had an at fault car accident in Cozumel. We had the car rental companys insurance. The local had a damaged motorcycle, a broken collarbone and our rental had a dented bumper. With the deductable, it cost us less than $30 for the car repair, $40 for a traffic ticket and nothing on the insurance payout to the local man. We do not know what ws paid to him but I would imagine that payment included (but not limited to) the repair, his hospital bills and his wages for the time he was out of work. I would never take the slightest chance that the rental was not insured.

#32 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

From whom did you rent and how long ago was it?

#33 judydivescoz

judydivescoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

To answer your question Carey, we rented from Rentadora Isis and it was in (i think, we visit 3 or so times a year) May 2008. Margarita from Isis went as far as to go to the police department to help out the bad situation. The local man had his entire family at the police station while he was at the hospital. It was a very loud group. Margarita was a very calming influence. My husband speaks fluent Spanish but Margaritas presence really helped settle the situation quickly. For this extraordinary customer service, we will be forever loyal to her. From experience, I know that she carries the promised insurance coverage.
I does not take much to plan a seed of doubt. The poster on another board who had an issue with LessPay allowing them to see their insurance information raised a red flag for me. Having proper coverage while traveling in a foreign country is essential especially when that country requires that you pay all damages before they will let you leave. I would hate to find that the coverage I thought I had did not exist or did not cover what I expected it to especially if I needed it. I would rent only from an agency who would document the paid coverage they carry.

#34 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

we all need to be aware of what we purchase...

The " seed of doubt" was planted. Without evidence, and without facts...

Somebody said "I was wronged", without explanation or follow through.

I prefer to wait until I have hard evidence that in fact, a wrong was committed.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#35 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

Aas far as bashing less pay, i don't feel i am bashing them, but just giving a warning out tho those interested to make sure they check the insurance (regardless of who they rent from) i have presented one side of a story and have never claimed otherwise. as i have said several times and as judy said as well, the fact that they refuse to provide a copy of the policy is the biggest concern and THE THING that creates the shadow of doubt on there behalf and which makes it APPEAR that they have something to hide. of course john and esther will have a story in quite contrast, otherwise, your statement (which i agree with) that there are always 3 or 4 sides to a story would be contradictory to this last statement correct?

i don't see the use of any forum that is intended to be informational for visitors and locals alike that doens't allow for differing opinions and the free expression of them as long as they are civil. a single person's opinion is not a reflection on the entire community or the forum owner so everyone is free to agree or not with opinions.

#36 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

To my knowledge this was only discussed on the scuba board and that thread was long dormant. The accident happened the first week of June. First mention was made several weeks later. The aggrieved party was a passenger in the car whose driver caused the accident. I have no knowledge of the normal legalities involved in a situation like this. The injuried person was supposedly taking the case to Profeco and promised to scan and post police accident reports and assorted documents as well as provide updates. It has been almost 2 1/2 months since a post was made back in late June.

I have no idea why there was no further discussion on scuba board as had been promised. If the person aggrieved had made progress or run into stumbling blocks, it seems that they would have provided updates or posted additional information and facts as they saw things. The silence has been deafening.

just for clarification and for the record, this is one side only.

jennifer said she only posted on scubaboard after trying numerous times to work things out with john personally. she was probably advised by her attorney or profeco not to post the reports and documents that makes sense. if there is an ongoing issue with this (i honestly don't know bcuz the last i heard was a month or so ago) then it makes sense that she would not be discussing it anymore per legal advice. again, i don't know.

#37 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

I will say that I'm sorry to see John's business taking a hit like this. I haven't met the man personally but I have heard from many of my friends that he is a kind and honorable guy.

#38 judydivescoz

judydivescoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

we all need to be aware of what we purchase...

The " seed of doubt" was planted. Without evidence, and without facts...

Somebody said "I was wronged", without explanation or follow through.

I prefer to wait until I have hard evidence that in fact, a wrong was committed.

You are right, we all need to be aware of what we purchase. One persons problem whether is real or not makes us all aware of the "what ifs". I would want proof of coverage before I rented a car from them or any agency for that matter. That is not an unreasonable request. Knowing what is covered and what is not is just good consumerism. I would not like to be the one holding the bag for damages if I did not do my due diligence.

#39 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

I didn't even know what or how that "voting" feature was until I saw every person that seemingly conflicted with one of your regular posters kept getting -1 or -2 on their posts. It's a very immature way to "get back" at people whose opinions don't jive with one's own. Thank you for disabling the thing.

#40 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

I don't think there was the "getting back" element and there's no way of knowing who was posting the negative poll opinions in any case. But I think that feature should be reserved only for people who are truly obnoxious and I think we can all see who those are without taking any polls. Positive points, on the other hand, are very helpful as they show new people which are the most informative and well-written posts presumably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users