• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:27 PM

Has anyone else noticed that package prices to Cozumel have increased several hundred dollars more over last years prices? I have looked at a trip I booked last year and other packages I was seriously considering at that time. They have all gone up in price fairly considerably. Most have gone up by $300-$600. That would be enough for some people to just stay home. I almost did not book this yr. because of the increase in prices. I checked the lowest cost tour operators I know of including Apple and Funjet.

#2 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

Our upcoming trip is our cheapest yet, BUT it's not a package. We booked through Orbitz and are flying non-stop from Toronto to Cancun. We're staying 9 nights at the Allegro and we paid $714/pp, BUT we booked it back at the beginning of June. I think the price is up to $1200 or so pp, which is CRAZY for this time of year.

#3 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, you see what I mean about the price jump? I thought prices would fall in August, but they didn't. Good thing you booked in June, wish I had! I paid 1450.00 for a week-long stay for 2 at a three star all-inclusive. Price includes air from Texas. You got a better deal than I did as you are coming from Canada!! I got my package deal at an auction that I have made many purchases from before. Prices on Apple and Funjet for the same hotel with airfare from home exceed 2,000 for 2.

#4 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Just for grins and giggles, I priced out our same flight. Today, the flight ALONE (on WestJet) is up to $788 USD pp.

I feel very badly for the hotels and hotel employees in Cozumel...

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

but if you skip the all inclusive, and book yourself a simple hotel room closer to town, there are MANY deals to be had. the smaller hotels WANT your business and will wager with you, especially this time of year. instead of going thru orbitz or travelocity, look up the hotels, go to their website, and shoot them an email. you might be very surprized of the results....for your next trip.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 BlueWaterPrincessa

BlueWaterPrincessa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

but if you skip the all inclusive, and book yourself a simple hotel room closer to town, there are MANY deals to be had. the smaller hotels WANT your business and will wager with you, especially this time of year. instead of going thru orbitz or travelocity, look up the hotels, go to their website, and shoot them an email. you might be very surprized of the results....for your next trip.

thank you! i never understand why people think they will only get good deals by booking packages, especially with ai's. the food here is too good to waste a single meal in an all inclusive. there are so many affordable hotels downtown and even casa mexicna has some great promotional rates right now through december

#7 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

I agree with you nauticab. Vista Del Mar was a great little downtown place to stay and was very inexpensive. It also offered a terrific ocean view and right in the middle of all the action! I got an ocean view room w/continental bfast during high season for about $60 per night (including taxes). They were so pleasant to me there. I also got my laundry done cheaply (by the pound). I probably would have stayed there again this time, however, my traveling companion was more interested in an AI. However, I booked an AI with very so-so food so we will be eating dinner and/or lunch in town fairly often while there.

#8 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

thank you! i never understand why people think they will only get good deals by booking packages, especially with ai's. the food here is too good to waste a single meal in an all inclusive.
-------------
I never understand why people judge other people's vacation choices. :huh:

We aren't necessarily into the AI idea, but we love having the beach available 24/7. As far as I know, the only hotels with beaches are...AI. We did discuss at great length staying downtown this time, but the Caribbean is more important to us than eating out 3x a day.

We rent a car for the week, see the sights, and eat out as we feel. Quite honestly though, I don't get good bang for my buck eating out, as the heat does a number on my appetite. :(

#9 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

We rented a villa for our upcoming trip instead of the AI. We were thinking of doing the meals that you can purchase with your villa as well, but still undecided. Is anyone familiar with this? Or would we be best to just eat out some and hit up Mega for the rest of our meals? Thanks!

#10 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

If it were me, I would skip the AI and do a little shopping at MEGA or Chedraui and enjoy some meals on the island at many of the wonderful restaurants listed on this site.

#11 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

I dunno...
Some of the AI deals I've seen the last couple of months are the cheapest I've seen.
I have definitely seen cheaper flights though.

We're going with another couple and they wanted AI... but they've been warned that they are going to town a couple of times.

#12 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

If it were me, I would skip the AI and do a little shopping at MEGA or Chedraui and enjoy some meals on the island at many of the wonderful restaurants listed on this site.

Who wants to cook and clean while on vacation? We stay at El Coz and they take really good care of us. We rent a VW bug during our trips and visit the beach bars, have a drink, snorkle, go to another have a drink, snorkle, have a bite to eat. We are not confined to the AI. Its just a convenience. The Breakfasts are the best and a great way to start the day.

We like the freedom that an AI gives us.

#13 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Who said anything about cooking and cleaning? I was talking about making sandwiches and micro meals. lol Maids still usually do cleaning at rentals.

#14 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Actually, those little sammiches from Mega are absolutely wonderful. :lol: Tasty, inexpensive lunch.

#15 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I guess my point got lost in the translation - LOL... All I want to do is Drink, Snorkle, drink, snorkle... That's my idea of relaxing B)

#16 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Me too, except my wife does all the snorkling.

#17 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

For 9 nights you can probably get into the Barracuda for $65-$70 per night. All rooms have ocean view, most have a small fridge, excellent pool and Mega across the street. I always email them an offer and they always accept.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#18 mriley

mriley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

I just booked a trip out of Des Moines Iowa through American Airlines Vacations for Carnival in March staying at the Barracuda for 7 night for $1416.00 total for my wife and myself I don't think that's too bad of a deal especially for Carnival during the high season.

#19 JMCADAM

JMCADAM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

That price out of Des Moines looks like a pretty good deal. Is that non-stop to Cozumel? We prefer renting a unit with cooking facilities, but almost always have dinner out somewhere in town. We always rent a car at least one day and have breakfast in town on the day we return the car. Being near the water and able to snorkle whenever we please is our priority. To each his own. Guess if money were no problem, I could get spoiled.

#20 mar

mar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

I tend to think that people generally don't search for better prices or attain a respectable travel agent. We booked yesterday and will be flying Toronto to Cancun nonstop on Westjet. We are staying for 3 weeks and paid 522.00 per person taxes included. We are astonished that our fellow Canadian is paying 714.00,we normally pay between 380.00 and 450.00 no matter what time of year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users