• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Mar, is that for the flight only? My $714 was also for 9 nights hotel as well as the flight. I'm very happy with that price!

#22 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

>Grumble<... We paid an exorbitant price to come down over Christmas with Expedia. A direct flight from Iowa does not exist. We are almost contemplating moving to Canada (I am 1/2 Canadian) as our neighbors to the north seem to get much better deals and direct flights. And now the airlines are charging for check in bags on international flights! Oh the humanity! :angry:

#23 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

I have used WestJet the last couple of trips and have been very pleased with the schedule, service, etc. Plus you are allowed 2 checked bags for free up to 50 pounds each in addition to the carry on, and the seating on the planes and the flight attendants are much better than other airlines.
The only problem is that for those Canadians (or Americans) who don't live in Toronto or within proximity (such as myself), I have to tack on the additional cost for flying to Toronto and connecting to Cancun or Cozumel. But coming from Winnipeg, it is still a good deal compared to what I have paid in the past. Many times the fare would hover around 1000 - 1200 dollars which is ridiculous, and flying with WestJet is much less expensive and no overnights either way. I used to always fly Northwest (now Delta), but it is more expensive and because they have now eliminated some flights, it would mean an overnight on the return. No thanks! And I get the benefit of landing in Cozumel (as opposed to Cancun) with WestJet this coming winter. And that's a good thing.

Valli

#24 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

We're 400 kms. north of Toronto, so we just have to worry about parking at Pearson. I've found staying at the Holiday Inn is the best bang for our buck, as they have free parking up to 2 weeks and have the shuttle to the airport and back.

I'm looking forward to NOT having to go through the US to get to Mexico, but it'd be nice if Westjet flew direct to Coz at this time of year. With the bag drag, we're going to keep our luggage to a minimum.

#25 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

I guess seasonal service to Cozumel commences October 31st with WestJet. I went in September via Toronto and landed in Cancun, but because I really got a good fare, I took Maya Air from Cancun to Cozumel. I am not a big fan of the bag drag, especially the last couple of times I went that route, I just find it too exhausting after a day of getting up very early, flying, and all that goes with airline travel these days.

Valli

#26 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

>Grumble<... We paid an exorbitant price to come down over Christmas with Expedia. A direct flight from Iowa does not exist. We are almost contemplating moving to Canada (I am 1/2 Canadian) as our neighbors to the north seem to get much better deals and direct flights. And now the airlines are charging for check in bags on international flights! Oh the humanity! :angry:

Where in Iowa are you?
If you're in Eastern Iowa it's actually quite easy to get to Coz from Moline. One stop, short layover, reasonable price. I used to fly direct out of O'Hare but no more.
You'll actually get there faster flying out of Moline with a stop than O'Hare direct. And the small airport's not a zoo... it's quite nice.

#27 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

We usually fly out of Cedar Rapids. One stop in Dallas. Guess I'm a bit PO'ed because there were no return flights this time without an overnight layover, except for one on a different airline with two stops and a charge for check in bags. This is the most expensive trip to Coz yet for us. Moline is actually closer for us, but I have found prices higher, along with an overnight layover. Will definitely re-explore. I like the convenience of booking a package thru Expedia, but may need to do further research.

We might be NOB neighbors! Thanks for the advice Eaton53!

#28 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

In the past I got direct flights out of O'Hare even though I live in the Quad Cities (my brother lives in Chicago).
For whatever reason it's no longer a better deal so now I'm saving myself the drive and flying out of Moline.
We're connecting in Memphis with a reasonable layover.

FYI, I got a better result out of Travelocity. With the Casita Deal this is my cheapest trip yet.

#29 mriley

mriley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

We have to connect in Dallas for the flight out of Des Moines but were usually at our hotel by 1:30 or 2:00pm. We also have been renting houses when my son comes down with us I like houses a lot better and it's cheaper when you can share the cost but since it's just my wife and I this time the $1416.00 was just too good of a price to pass up we saved about 3 to 4 hundred dollars booking this way and we never really cooked much in the houses anyway we just rent them for the privacy and the pool but a house is the way to go. We've been traveling to Coz long enough that we know all the places back in town to eat fairly cheap and since It will be Carnival when I'm there the street vendors will be out in force with a lot of great food at great prices.

#30 jrfool

jrfool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

We booked the same package with Continental and with the Coral Princess for 100 less than last year.

jrfool

#31 kevinjones

kevinjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

Mismanagement in the supply-demand chain and the increase in broad money supply are the causes for inflation in prices, experts say.Although the recent months have witnessed growth in demand for CPDs, sustained recovery in the gems and jewellery industry and specifically in the CPD segment will depend largely on the pace and sustainability of demand in the major export destinations across the globe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users