• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Are the Dates set for Carnival in Cozumel?
Last year the last day was on February 17th.
We will be on the Island on the 19th of February 2011.
I hope it is a bit later this year!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

the dates I posted are WRONG!!!!

I used two websites (one owned and produced by the Island Government, and another site) for the dates, and BOTH are outdated.

So sorry, don't change your plans....

YIKES!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

So Paula, is that official? I know alot of people have questioned the dates this year, since Fat Tuesday is in March this year. It sounds like Cozumel is following the traditional February dates for Carnival, instead of the actual calendar.
Looks like we will make it for the tail-end! :rolleyes:

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

Just updated my message, the dates that I posted (and now corrected) are WRONG.

I have been on all the sites I can think of, and all say "no firm dates until the end of the year".

Sorry folks for my mistake.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Please keep us informed of anything you hear or read about offical dates. We are booked Feb.15-March 15th, with the hopes the dates will fall somewhere in-between. :D
My daughter wants to come for a week during Carnival, and is waiting to book.

#6 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

Ash Wednesday 2011 falls on March 9, 2011, there are no scheduled elections this coming year, Carnival should get going on March 5, 2011. this wil be the 25th consective Carnival here in Cozumel for me.

T.

#7 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

T - you're a lucky man :rolleyes:

#8 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Does this mean it will not be until March?

#9 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Ash Wednesday 2011 falls on March 9, 2011, there are no scheduled elections this coming year.

Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday(Tuesday before Ash Wednesday) fall on March 8, 2011

Carnival should get going on March 5, 2011, the same for the Mardi Gras Celebration in New Orleans.

To answer your question......, YES!

T.

#10 mriley

mriley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

That was also my uderstanding that it started on March 5th I sure hope so because I just booked for the 3rd through the 10th for my second Carnival experience. I sure hope the weather is better than it was last year BURRRRRRRR, can't wait to see what they set on fire this year, just kidding.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

your right, last year was so COLD, and Windy (unless of course you where at Sr. Frogs for the bonfire)... :o

I predict, GREAT WEATHER!

Anonymous

#12 mriley

mriley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

I was right across the street from Senior Frogs when they lit it up, it did warm things up a little bit but it looked pretty scary for the people inside I'm glad nobody got hurt.

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

Carnaval is in March as stated earlier. The dates February 10-17 were this year dates. I'm not surprised a government site would be out of date, they probably downsized the webmaster. Unless they are somehow planning a big Fat Thursday parade, that would be a new one for even Cozumel. The only reason the date of Carnaval was every changed was when Easter came in March, the years with an election, the election dry laws would conflict with the celebration. They changed the date of the election from the first Sunday in February, to the first Sunday in July. That is why we had the elections for mayor and governor this summer even though the newly elected officials will not take office for nine months since the voting. Consumption of alcohol would trump religious dates and tradition. I'll bet on the last parade being the day before Ash Wednesday, Tuesday March 8th, not held on a Thursday in February, but I have seen things about equally strange, but not stranger.

Una pagina de carnavaleros para carnavaleros
Carnaval Cozumel 2011
Del 2 al 9 de marzo de 2011.
Muy pronto confirmación oficial del calendario de eventos!
Cozumel Carnival 2011
March 2-9, 2011.
http://www.facebook....rnavaldecozumel

the Cozumel Hotel Association:

http://www.facebook.com/cozumelhotels#!/cozumelhotels?v=app_2344061033
Carnaval Cozumel 2011
Dónde: Isla Cozumel, Mexico
Cuándo: Desde el jueves, 03 de marzo de 2011 a las 15:00 hasta el
Martes, 08 de marzo de 2011 a las 18:00

#14 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

I will be one of those very disappointed people if these are the true dates, as I planned for the March dates. The government site doesn't give the year for those February dates, and they are the exact same dates as last year. Wouldn't it move at least one number, due to the change in the yearly calendar dates? (Assuming the last parade is on a Tuesday). The only event with a year listed is Ironman. I am hoping the March 2-9 dates I see everywhere else are the correct dates.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

Thanks, Charles. It's a relief to get that straight. Usually Sherri Davis is the first to put out correct info on carnival in English and that's where I usually check when I'm too lazy to count back from Easter. But she hasn't updated her info. I plugged in the search term cozumel carnival and some English only version of the gob'ment website came up with this incorrect info. So if I'm doing this, a whole lof of other people are too and they should correct it.

So March it is -- same as New Orleans and Rio. March 2-9, 2011

#16 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Yippie! :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those are the correct dates! I saw on Sherri's Island News page that these are the dates too.

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

Whatever reliability Sherri's site might once have had, since her arrest she has continued to add more things negative and seems hell bent that since it appears she will now be losing everything here, she seems intent on damaging tourism and pumping any negative publicity possible to hurt tourism (real or imagined) in Cozumel and Mexico in general.

She added a news feed link that is dedicated to all the news related to the war on drug traffickers. Anything shocking, grotesque, latest be-headings along the border can all be linked from her portal. Her latest bit of news translation she offers was from an article in El Semanario several weeks back. A "reporter" asked the chief of police of what he was doing to combat the "new crime" of people on motos robbing tourists and others also on motos. His puzzled answer was he had never heard of any such crime, none had ever been reported to the police, but he would continue due diligence in combating all crime and insuring the public safety. The unnamed moderator of Sherri's claims to have personally taken someone to the ministerio publico to report such a crime back in March.

There are plenty of real problems of concern to locals and visitors coming here. I feel sorry for Sherri and anyone that has found themselves in a situation like hers. She remains in hiding from a second arrest warrant issued against her, one that she claims will deny her bond. It seems that she will lose everything that she built and developed here and has no hope of ever returning to the island. It truly is a sad ending and highly unusual circumstances that led to this demise. I don't know to what extend her businesses are operating or whom would be in charge now. It is sad that Sherri has no other recourse than to fight back and try to do damage to the tourism that she promoted and let the damage fall upon everyone, not just her few personal targets. We all had benefit of the views expressed by the opposition attorney on this forum.

The official city government web page was hacked over the bicentennial weekend bridge, when workers had Thursday September 16th to Monday the 20th as holiday. The hacker using "St41k" as their "tag name" defaced the site, put up pictures of President Calderon with a Hitler mustache, called for Calderon's resignation and put images and messages regarding the failure of the war on drugs. It was brought to the attention of Por Esto! and the newspaper reported the website was cleaned and restored within 24 hours during that holiday weekend. So even government sites are not safe from attack.
http://www.poresto.n...&idTitulo=43798

Regarding Carnaval, the only reason dates were ever changed was from the election conflict which has now been eliminated. Carnaval is not widely celebrated in Mexico, it has been a more Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico tradition that has slowly spread to some of the other tourist areas. It used to be that Carnaval in Cozumel had such a reputation as being the best, both Cancun and Playa would choose other dates so as to not compete with Cozumel. Many people came here to watch or participate from those towns. Usually Merida was the only competition in the region and celebrated on the correct date of the religious calendar. Here after expect Carnaval and Fat Tuesday to be the day before Ash Wednesday regardless of the month of Easter.

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

I think we need to separate Carnival, from Sherri Davis.

I prefer to think about what FUN Carnival is. Look like not enough folks will be around this year to book seats at the Museum.

Have done that for the past several years, and it is a great spot to enjoy, eat and cocktail through the parade.

Anonymous

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Not to get involved in any of the legal issues on either side as I know nothing about it, I'll have to say that were I in Sherri's shoes and with a large and well-attended website at my command, I'd turn mean as a snake and go for the jugular too. It's very ironic that the same website that so successfully promoted tourism on the island is now becoming just the opposite.

Now enough about Sherri Davis on this thread which is about carnival dates. Anyone wants to bring up that subject, kindly start a new thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users