8 replies to this topic

#1 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

we plan a trip to Merida when it gets a little cooler , want a short stay ie three days hotel , must be clean and friendly any ideas

#2 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

We have been using Hotel Posada Toledo(check out TripAdvisor/TA) as a base in Merida for 15 years, we were just there in May. Hotel Santa Lucia is another good choice......, both hotels are 3 blocks from the Plaza Grande/Main Plaza, you can find them on Google Earth..... There are many good place to eat and coffee in the area. If you need more info, you can PM or e-mail me.

Note: Do wait until it's much cooler, December before Christmas is a good time to go, Plan to be there over the weekend.

T.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have stayed at Casa del Balam. It is one block from the main square. Quite nice.

http://www.casadelbalam.com/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

thank you Paula and Traveller and what should I not miss in three days

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

We really like Luz en Yuctan luzenyucatan.com

It's changed management and the prices have gone up a bit. But the location is excellent -- also right by the St. Lucia park. Very quiet but only five blocks from the plaza. Really pretty interior open space and a nice little pool. Used to be extremely funny and funky but I think the guys that bought it have upgraded it. I know they have internet throughout before, something they didn't have in the past.

This will be a more expensive option than Hotel St. Lucia but some of the rooms have kitchen facilities so that helps. The Balam that Paula mentioned is very nice too but is going to be the most expensive option of all suggested so far.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

I thought Balam was about a medium priced hotel, for where it was. Nice, but not the Ritz.

One block from the square, and everything within walking distance. It did include a continental breakfast.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Yah, the Nah Balam is it called? Has a great location and some rooms probably have an excellent people watching view but that would also be a traffic noise room. Prices pretty much anywhere in Merida are such a better deal than even the Houston airport. I just like Luz en Yucatan for its funky charm. It was once the abbey attached to the church on the corner there and so it is a rabbit warren of strangely shaped rooms with inner, garden courtyards and the location is good. 5 blocks from the plaza and 1 block from a REALLY good Lebanese restaurant called Alemandra or something similar. To find it. Walk out the door of 'Luz' and turn left. Walk one block to the next corner. Turn right. You will see it 1/2 block down on the left side of the street. Look closely. Two steps up into the place. It is my favorite restaurant in Merida which isn't, actually saying much. It's actually the ONLY good restaurant I've found so far in Merida. But it's a real good 'un -- worth planning your stay to be near it. AJ and I usually eat lunch there every day when we're in the White City. (Not open for dinner.)

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

have you selected where you might stay?

I know right off the square, there is a wonderful 2 story shop that sells the most beautiful, handmade quits.

I had wished I had the opportunity while I was there to really enjoy what Merida had to offer.

Anonymous

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

There are probably around 15 artisan coops in the center of downtown Merida that sell the hand made Mayan quilts. I have bought 3 and put them up on my walls.

There is also a really wonderful little shop a block from the plaza that always go to without fail. They have all those cool carved angels, day of the dead stuff, just beautiful and interesting stuff and it's packed in and at fair prices. I cannot remember the name of the store. But I know how to get to it. If anyone is interested, I'll bring up a map of downtown and find the location for you. It's a don't miss place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users