26 replies to this topic

#21 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

I have been looking into my options and this is what I have come up with

1 In New York you need to have insurance or you have to hand in your plates. If you do not hand in plates you lose your license.
BUT!!
You can sign a form stating you are taking the car out of country and this will allow you to drop insurance. You need to keep the reg current though.
The problem with this is if you ever want to take the car back to the states you will need insurance and you cannot get it without a physical address (no P.O box or mail box.) and you can not use international insurance for a U.S plated car driven in the U.S. So it would be almost impossible to get insurance.
If you want to sell your car you will need to take it out of the country to Belize.

2 You can register your car in S.D. You do not need insurance so after getting it to Mexico you can cancel your insurance.
You can also let your reg lapse you do not have to hand in the plates.
If you come back to the states you just get insurance. But I do not know how you will get it back to S.D. to register the car. There are Mail Box stores that will register it for you and send the plates if you want to go that route.
The problem with this is you need to go to S.D. spend one night there and show the receipt of where you stated to the DMV this is to establish residency for the license. You give the mail box address as your address. It is all legal.
Then every five years you need to go back to S.D. to renew the license (You can not mail it in)
If you want to keep your insurance and reg current there are insurance companies that will in effect sell you storage insurance. You tell them the car is out of country and they sell you this cheap policy.
I guess this would be good if you ever move back to the states you can show you had insurance and because of this they will not take you to the cleaners when buying new insurance in the states.

So if you live in New York you can be able to keep reg and plates with no insurnace and renew by mail for license every 8yrs.

Or anyone in the U.S. can go the S.D. route.

Ron

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Lorda Mercy, Ron. How about doing what we did? Bring down a reliable old junker and let it rust into the pavement. We brought our 93 Taurus wagon down in 2001 I guess it was and it still runs just fine thanks to it being a Ford and not as electronic gadgety as the newer models have become. Xavier at Auto Express is always able to come up with used parts when anything breaks. We have no mirrors. At all. One bumper is attached with a clamp, lot of dents, no AC. But it still runs great and it kind of looks like we'll prolly still have it 10 years from now.

I wouldn't drive a car like that back in the states if I wasn't desperate and had to. But down here for the occasional beach trip and trips to the nursery and the grocery, what more do you need?

#23 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

The quality of car is not the issue the issue is keeping the car registered or not. In New York you have to.
In SD you do not. Both have there draw backs

Just figuring it all out

Ron

#24 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

I don't know the current regulations, but Oregon and New Mexico were friendly States for registering cars. People that had U.S. cars who were based primarily in Mexico, but did make occasional trips north of the border used these States. Oregon at the time allowed the entire process by mail, the vehicle never had to enter Oregon. I believe at the time, New Mexico required a one time visit for registration. This is not current information.

I always thought that if I wanted a car here, I would buy an island rust bucket and it would never leave the island. When I needed a car for business purposes, it made more sense to rent one long term as illogical and more costly, but I had no time to deal with repairs and on time reliability was essential.

What happened with the Cozumel or "supposedly" Quintana Roo law that went into effect when Juan Carlos became mayor? You could not plate e Mexican vehicle without having an FM2. In the old daze, it was no problem purchasing a used vehicle on a FMT tourist visa. Prices were always expensive for used cars on the island and traditionally, people used to go to Merida or at least Cancun for far better deals. Buying a car in Mexico would solve the problem down here, but then I don't know how you can cross the border with a Mexican car. I have seen Mexican plated vehicles in the U.S. some distance from the border.

It does seem complicated and not to be taken lightly if you are bringing down a car with expectations of occasionally having it for periods in the U.S. I moved to Mexico with the hope of having a less complicated life and gave up on year round living when my life became more complicated than it had been living in the States.

Ron, I have problems with my only legal address in the States as there are no physical addresses and it often becomes an issue over shipping and credit cards as there are only Post Office boxes. I often have to use a bogus address as everything goes to the Post Office regardless. None of it is getting easier and I may have to explore the possibility of trying Panama as besides the positives unique to Cozumel, everything else about Mexico only seems to get worse.

#25 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hello Charles
Living in a Foreign country is never easy and most likely hasn't been for quiet some time. People that casually think about living in another country never realize the logistics what it takes to make it happen. It is by far easier to stay put in the U.S. Just look at health care for one. You can't get medicare in Mexico and if you have preexisting conditions you may not get insurance, But if you stayed in the U.S. you are guaranteed insurance under the time window of turning 65. Then there is car registration. Then there is getting mail and on and on. But for those who want to live in other places they deal with the problems that present itself in living over seas, or in this case South of the boarder. It is a shame that laws and health insurance can hold you hostage to a country, it should not be that way.

When you live a life out of the norm it just gets harder not easier

Ron

#26 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

What happened with the Cozumel or "supposedly" Quintana Roo law that went into effect when Juan Carlos became mayor? You could not plate e Mexican vehicle without having an FM2.

that's what I was remembering, Charles. Wasn't there someone last year on the old forums reporting that they couldn't buy a new car in Mexico because they couldn't get plates for it because they didn't have the correct visa. Or was that all straightened out. Evidentally not clearly enough for me because I still don't understand the current regs on that issue. Anyone?

#27 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

It was all straightened out. You CAN purchase a car with an FM 3 visa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users