• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Can anyone tell me what the make and model of the Cablemas router is? Recent installation only...Thanks, Tina

#2 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

Just had service installed Friday. There is absolutely nothing on the wireless router to indicate its make or model. It is the property of Cablemas and comes with the installation and monthly service.

It appears to be of U.S. origin, since the labels over the status lights are in English and a sticker on the bottom says it conforms to FCC standards.

Michael

#3 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

I rented an apartment near Mega & Chedrali and have been told by a friend that Cablemas would supply modem and WIRELES router with internet service.
I came back to the states for Christmas and will return in a few days.
I have a nice wireless router here. Do I need to bring it with me or rely on Cablemas for it when I sign up for service?
Sunshine makes me happy!

#4 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

I had Cablemas installed in October. They brought a wireless modem/router that has worked fine. It is their property, but is included in the service. If you are using a Mac, make sure you are using the latest OS. We were one version behind and had problems until we upgraded.

#5 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

thanks mlphoto...we wil have a pc laptop and a mac
Sunshine makes me happy!

#6 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

I had Cablemas installed in October. They brought a wireless modem/router that has worked fine. It is their property, but is included in the service. If you are using a Mac, make sure you are using the latest OS. We were one version behind and had problems until we upgraded.

Sunshine makes me happy!

#7 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

oh....one more ? howlog after goingto office to get service?.....and i sssume we need to be home for acess to roof and cabling wich is preinstalled
Sunshine makes me happy!

#8 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

I am not fluent, so I went with a friend who is. We were able to get an appointment within the next ten days. But, it was a fluid appointment system. Basically, a tech shows up and knocks at the door, on or around the day of your appointment, or calls the number given when you request service. I think we were up and running within 7 days.

So, you will need to be at home (they'll keep coming by until they catch you at home) or be able to understand enough Spanish when they call your cell.

Which means you should go to a cell phone store and get a phone (preferably without a plan if you are only using it locally for necessities). A local number will make your life easy.

The internet is fast. With a basic cable subscription paying month to month, there is no set up or installation fee (or there wasn't for us since the house had service previously) and costs $504MP a month. We pay onliine. Unless you have a credit card issued by a Mexican bank, you will have to pay your bill in person or pay online.

Online (although in Spanish) was fairly easy to set up.

And we had to upgrade the Macs to Snow Leopard to make it all work seemlessly.

Good luck,
M

#9 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks mlphoto. Did you get a wireless router and modem included?
Sunshine makes me happy!

#10 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

The unit that Cablemas provides is router/modem and wireless in one unit.

#11 corki

corki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

are any of you using Vonage with the cablemas ?

#12 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Hi Corki. I got my cable mas up and running in 6 days. My friend here had vonage, but recently swithed to majic Jack....it seems to be fine and is very inexpensive.

Download Skype for your close friends on line. You can talk and video for free!
Sunshine makes me happy!

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Toss that wireless router in your suitcase. Stuff like that is expensive down here and hard to get the good ones sometimes at any price. Also with cement walls you may find you need a second router strung up with a cable hookup in a different room to get good signals all over your house. We have .... um ... would you believe 7 wireless routers? Need one for every room we use computers in. Signal will go down from 5 bars to 2 bars only 20 feet away if there is a windowless cement block wall in the signal path.

#14 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

The box on mine says Netgear N150 Wireless Router
Marg Moran McQuinn

#15 Liz

Liz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

I have a new router from Cablemas too. No idea what brand. It works great on the first floor and outside......but zero upstairs!
I am off island and am considering buying their router stronger antennas. Anyone know if the antennas unscrew or if there is a better idea?

#16 Liz

Liz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I had their router installed in December. I'm off island right now, but can check for you next month. Does anyone know if the antennas they have on the router are removable? I don't get any connection upstairs amd I'm thinking about buying stronger antennas while I'm in the US.

#17 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

I would buy a router extender & plug it in upstairs.

Our complex has wifi & the router is in the unit below us. At first we had no problem, but they recently changed routers & we started having issues. Plugged an extender in and it cured the connection issue. Something like this:

http://accessories.u...7530&lid=627063

Mike

#18 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Mike - are you saying that router extender would work on a 2nd (or 3rd) floor if the router was on the first floor? That is the issue in my home away from home hotel in Coz... I have to go to the lobby to get WiFi. I would gladly invest in one of these to be able to get WiFi in my room.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#19 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Mike - are you saying that router extender would work on a 2nd (or 3rd) floor if the router was on the first floor? That is the issue in my home away from home hotel in Coz... I have to go to the lobby to get WiFi. I would gladly invest in one of these to be able to get WiFi in my room.

Yes, that's what we have now. really hadn't even known about an extender until we started having issues with the router below us. Our property mgr. installed one & it is working fine now. With the original router, we would get weak signals in various parts of our condo and when they put a new router in below, we couldn't access it at all. Now we have access throughout.

#20 Liz

Liz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I looked at that model and the idea of a repeater. I just want sure if I could set it up without a computer. I'm iPad all the way in Cozumel. Guess I have to read up on that product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users