6 replies to this topic

#1 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi,
I'm coming next month with my boyfriend and some friends and some of us might be interested in trying diving. I know I sound like a real gum ball but I don't know the first thing about this. <_< So my first question is how do we start if we want to check it out? I mean is there some easy way for zero experienced people to try diving and see if they like it?

#2 Boognish

Boognish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

I think some hotels do little sessions in the pool to let people try out scuba... I am not sure though. But if you wanted to do ocean dives I think you need to take classes that will run you around 300 dollars per person. Not exactly sure on the specifics,

#3 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

Most all dive operations offer what's called PADI Discover Scuba. A number of resort have onsite operators that offer the same thing. If you like it well enough, you can do the training and certification while you are here. You might not wat to take the time out of your vacation. If you like it, do the training at home and them come back to really enjoy a diving vacation.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Check with Frank at the Coral Princess Hotel. They have what is commonly known as a "Discover" or "Resort Course".

The resort course first takes you into the pool, if you can manage that, then you can progress to open water. It may be in just 10 to 20 feet of water, but the reality is, that is what your qualified to do.

If you do okay, then you will be taken out, with a dive master in the boat.

You don't want a cattle boat...more then 10 divers.

http://www.coralprin...ties-diving.cfm

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

Yes, you can do a "Discover Scuba" thing -- very limited training, some pool time, then (assuming you actually learned the limited skills they teach you in the pool & don't freak out from claustraphobia, or forget to keep breathing underwater), they'll take you out in the Ocean for a shallow dive - no more than 30 feet, usually on to Paradise Reef. But if you really like it, and want to try more, like the 60-80 foot dives to deeper reefs where you'll see much more, you either have to give up large chunks of vacation time for the full-blown training (i.e., several hours of classroom work, written tests, more pool work, skills tests in shallow water, and a Certification Dive), or go home, take the full Certification Course at a local Dive Center, with a Certification Dive in a local Lake or flooded quarry (unless you happen to live near the Ocean), then wait for your next tropical vacation. I got certified about 20 years ago (1989), with Certification Dive in a lake in Texas, so I was certified before my Tahiti vacation -- my first Ocean Dives were off Moorea, with Black Tip Reef Sharks (about 3-4 feet long & usually pretty shy), Manta Rays, Spotted Moray Eels, Sea Turtles & dozens of beautiful & colorful reef fish. I suggest, if you have several weeks before your trip, see if a local dive shop will take you into a pool for a quick "check-out", and if you can easily get comfortable breathing on a regulator, no claustraphobia or panic staying underwater for several minutes, and you are willing to learn the skills necessary to make diving safe & enjoyable, then take the Certification Class at a local dive shop - you can either take your Certification Dive in a local lake or quarry, or have the Dive Shop refer you to a Dive Operator in Cozumel to complete the Certification Process & you'll be ready to go. On the other hand, if you discover that you are just not comfortable with the Scuba Equipment, or you are subject to panic attacks underwater (no shame in that - lots of folks just cannot get comfortable enough underwater breathing through a hose to enjoy the experience; my Sister tried it once & nearly freaked out in 6 feet of crystal clear pool water), then at least you'll know not to waste your time & money on a Discover Scuba deal in Cozumel. Two things though, - First: If you discover that you really enjoy Scuba, please respect the Reefs - there are other divers who want to see it as bad as you do, and it's very easy to damage the reef through carelessness. Second: ALWAYS remember that if you keep calm and always pay attention to where you are & what you are doing, Scuba is incredibly safe; if you panic when something little goes wrong (like the diver in front of you kicks off your mask, so you have to put it back on & clear it underwater - a fairly easy task, if you just relax), or do something stupid (like losing track of how deep you are, how much air you have in your tank, or where your dive group went while you were staring at a Spiny Lobster hidden under a ledge of coral, or forgetting the rule that you NEVER hold your breath on Scuba) it's very easy to kill yourself. Dive Safe.

#6 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

The resort I go to has an on site dive shop and at least a few times a week they will have someone sitting by the pool with scuba gear. They are there so if anyone just wants to try it out can do so. Now the pool is only about 4 foot deep but at least you can put on a tank and get your head wet. It is also a great way to see if you have any claustrophobia problems. Of course this is all free and you only get to swin around for a few minutes but hey, what is there to see on the bottom of the main pool anyway?
If you like that or even if it piques your interest then check into the discovery scuba course. Just about everybody has it and it is designed for beginners so you won't feel out of place.
I got hooked after taking the discover class, I am now certified and will be back underwater in CZM in May.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

Using the phrase "incredibly safe" and "can kill yourself" in the same paragraph...maybe it's just me, but those phrases don't go together. Scuba is inherently dangerous. I believe that. "Incredibly safe" I don't go along with that at all, even though I have over 4,000 accident free dives. Constant attention is required, as well as good planning and even then an equipment failure can be fatal. What happens if an HP hose on your reg ruptures while you are inside the Devils Throat? What happens when you reach the wall at Santa Rosa and the current is going straight down? Diving used to be a sport for those that enjoyed risk activities (if you don't think diving is a risk activity check with your health and life insurance provider). Now it is marketed as if you were signing up for a trip to the aquarium. I train a lot of divers and I do so in a way to hopefully make their experiences safe ones, but to just flatly say that if you are trained, diving is completely safe is akin to saying that if you are well trained then getting into a boxing ring holds no danger. Sorry if I sound negative, but to me safety is the single highest priority on every dive I make, yet when I am down with a group I know that at any moment something can go very wrong and there is something about the pervasive idea that diving is no big deal that I just can't get a handle on.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users