• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

My wife and I were last in CZM about wo years ago. The reefs were still heavily sanded/damaged from hurricane Wilma, though there were many schools of 'fry.'

What condition are the reefs in today?

#2 kentuckoz

kentuckoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

We've been coming each of the last three summers snorkeling in much of the same spots. Coral is making a slow but steady comeback. Fish populations are preatty good right now. Least damaged shallow reef seems to be at Punta Sur.

#3 Antonio

Antonio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Here's a video made of pictures taken a week ago, you be the judge:

video

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

The reefs that were hit hard are struggling to come back. I am afraid that for some this might take many years. Most of the good shore snorkeling areas are still mostly wiped out. The vast majority of the reefs however are in very good shape and most are just missing the huge amounts of sponges that were common before Wilma. Sealife is plentiful and due to less than average numbers of divers there seems to be in some areas more life than before. Recently on early dives there have been a few grey reef sharks on some of the deeper dives and even a baby Tiger Shark at the Columbia.

My main concern for the reefs are the effects of warming. The deeper reefs are becoming covered with a clumpy, green plant which is taking over some of the reefs like an underwater Kudzu. It is a dense plant that if inspected closely looks much like strands of clovers. The other negative are the many fields of stinging hydroids that were never present until the last couple of years.

The diving at the Southern reefs is still excellent and for closer snorkeling and/or diving Paradise somehow or another seemed to recieve hardly any damage which considering it's depth is shocking.

Cozumel IMHO is still a premier dive destination. The reefs in Cayman were wiped out by Ivan. The reefs in Roatan were severely affected by Dean. The reefs in the Bahamas.....well I never thought too much of those reefs to begin with except for the fact that the Bahamas are one of the great diving destinations for shark viewing (if that is your thing).

Cozumel Diving

#5 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

We second this opinion. We have been diving in Honduras (Roatan)., Belize.(Ambergis Caye)..Costa Rica (Pacific side) and Grand Cayman.(reefs there are brown and pretty uninteresting)
.Cozumel is still the best visibility, sea life and the reefs are certainly healthier here. It will take some time to get the shallow reefs back after Wilma.
Lets hope we are spared from any major storms this hurricane season and the reefs will recover even more.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#6 cindyf

cindyf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

I wiil be in Cozumel, Roatan, Puerto Costa Maya in two weeks - last minute trips. I would love recommendations for excellent dive operators and most vibrant reefs ASAP so I can book dives. I am certified as a PADI advanced diver.

Thank you!

#7 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Cindy,
Go to scubaboard.com there is a section just for Cozumel.
I think you'll find all the info you'll need.

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

There is also a list of instructors and dive ops on cozumel-diving.net. IMHO I'll be happy to see Scubaboard when they end up in court.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users