6 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

NHC is predicting the likelihood of a 'moonsoon low' over a huge area of central America and the countries bordering the western caribbean. 97L in the eastern Pacific near Guatamala is expected to hook up with the remnants of Matthew next Wednesday and Thursday and form a giant low that will move very, very slowly and drench many countries with days of torrential rain.

It's too early to predict as yet and the only thing we have to worry about on Cozumel is ground water rising and flooding homes and streets. But be aware that we could be in for a real soaker towards the middle of next week. Part of my house floods to about 3" whenever we get something like this so I'm really hoping it won't be that bad this go round. But you never know.

The Sleeping Giant was what they called the last system like this to hit the area awhile back. That might have been one of the ones that flooded my sala which was about 7 years ago. Anyone remember that 12" of rain in 12 hours we got a couple years before Emily and Wilma?

#2 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

That storm was one I don't care to repeat. I had never seen/heard lightning/thunder like that in my life, amd I'm from Missouri! I remember 6th street flooding so much that boats were used to access houses and Ave 30 was passable only to those with high vehicles. Adding insult to injury was the numbers of curious people out driving around; they created waves while driving through the water that added to the flooding of homes.

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

That doesn't sound like fun at all. I guess it could be worse our houses could be made of wood.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 pancha

pancha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

We were at our home for that storm ... got off the last plane in that day ... before the real downpours! Had just enough time to get to Chedraui and home ... CUZ ... then we couldn't get out of the house (even with the Jeep) for 2 days. Neighbor (with a canoe) was going up and down the street making sure all were OK. We're back behind the ballfield/school off 11 on 55 Sur Bis. What a storm - friend (because you couldn't sleep) ticked off 10+++ hours of straight lightening/thunder! Shook the concrete of our house for sure! Will be thinking of you all - check the NOAA and here daily to keep track.

#5 cyana

cyana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:30 AM

I am worried after hearing about this.
Its not a good news for the people there.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

my goodness girl...this post is from September...

Glad you found CMC (I think)...but READ first before posting

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for saying what my fingers have been wanting to type, Paula!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users