• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Does anyone know if there is a grout cleaning service in Coz? I had my grout cleaned in Houston by a service that comes in with a steam cleaner and the results were amazing. I'm not even sure what color the grout was originally at the house in Cozumel, but I'm pretty sure that it was lighter than it is now. I realize that Cozumel may not have the steam clean method, but with most homes being tiled, there must be some method. Any info would be appreciated.

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Try a little Muratic Acid on the grout. That's what all the good housekeepers use. They sell it by the truck load at Chedraui.

#3 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

I have a small steam cleaner if you want to borrow it and hire someone to do the cleaning with it. I use it on my counter grout.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

You might want to test an area with a steam iron.

If it did work, it would be a lot of labor. You could also brag that you steam iron your tile!

However, I suspect a cleaner is employed to loosen the embedded stains.

I HATE GROUT!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

The idea of using muriatic acid inside the home was enough to get me to re-register for this forum!

Muriatic and other acids dissolve the upper layer of lime-based products like grout and concrete, leaving a new, "clean" (etched) surface. If not dilute enough or left on too long, it can completely dissolve grout, which is soft and porous.

Muriatic is great for preparing swimming pools for new paint, for removing paint and stains from concrete walls and walks, and for many other outdoor applications. (Muriatic can kill plants and should be kept away from lawns and gardens.) Its fumes are highly corrosive to metal objects and to human lungs. Metal items such as light fixtures, appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc. should be wrapped and anyone handling muriatic should wear a respirator.

Though locals use very, very diluate muriatic indoors for grout cleaning, it's not the best product to choose.

The best option for cleaning grout, given product availability here, would be something containing bleach. Bleach straight from the bottle, poured onto a sponge or rag and left sitting on the grout for hours will remove most stains with minimal effort. Bam with Chloro is a very effective but expensive cleaner for this application and it contains a weak acid that will slightly etch grout. If you have more dirt than stains, bleach can be combined with baking soda (an abrasive) to form a paste -- apply to grout, allow to dry, and toothbrush out before sweeping up. A similar product to this would be Comet. Just be careful not to buff your tile if you use a product containing abrasives. If you have a bottle, you may also give Soft Scrub a trial.

Whichever product you use, be sure to rinse very well with clean water.

Cleaning in Coz is often challenging. Good luck!

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

there is a rule, NEVER, EVER ADD WATER TO ACID.

You add Acid TO water. Who remembers Chemistry Class?

We use a dilution of acid to water to clean our shower heads...never had used it straight...

Hope you stay around Deb...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

You're absolutely correct Paula - no splashy the acid.

White vinegar works great on shower heads.

Will stick. Haven't been here out of laziness after tons of trouble logging in due to the new software install.

Later,
Deb

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

If someone knew of a commercial steam cleaner we would hire them to clean our grout in the high traffic areas.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#9 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I haven't been on this forum for very long, but I've read it for quite a while and you all are so great about helping people out. I will probably try all the suggestions out in inconspicuous places and see which works best. I looked up grout cleaners to buy in Houston today and there was one advertised that you can buy at Lowes and Home Depot that's non-corrosive. Just not sure if they'd let me carry on the plane. Hydrogen peroxide was another suggestion. Maybe the suggestion of using comet or similar bleach type product and then using the steam cleaner (thanks for the offer!) after rinsing to get up the difficult areas would work. Thanks again!

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

lets us know what works...so far nothing I have tried works.

Oh, Scrubbing Bubbles, and a tooth brush helped.

But I've learned to become one with the grout.

I ignore it!

Anonymous

#11 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

lets us know what works...so far nothing I have tried works.

Oh, Scrubbing Bubbles, and a tooth brush helped.

But I've learned to become one with the grout.

I ignore it!

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#12 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I haven't been on this forum for very long, but I've read it for quite a while and you all are so great about helping people out. I will probably try all the suggestions out in inconspicuous places and see which works best. I looked up grout cleaners to buy in Houston today and there was one advertised that you can buy at Lowes and Home Depot that's non-corrosive. Just not sure if they'd let me carry on the plane. Hydrogen peroxide was another suggestion. Maybe the suggestion of using comet or similar bleach type product and then using the steam cleaner (thanks for the offer!) after rinsing to get up the difficult areas would work. Thanks again!

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#13 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

We bought a product similar to the one you describe at Home Depot in Canada...we got a wine bottle with a very secure screw top and placed this grout solution in it, sealed it with some tape and placed it in our checked luggage...it came here fine and we used it sparingly...but it worked fine.
Just another solution to getting certain cleaners down here. I did the same with some CLR I needed for my taps and had no problems.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

CLR is an acid...it is diluted, and put into a spray bottle.

It would be the same product with the same properties as Muratic Acid, and water. It does have a few more ingredients.

Not criticizing you, and I would love to purchase CLR here...but I am kind of shocked that you got this through inspection at the airport.

We had RidX in our luggage to use in our septic tank, HLS pulled that our of our luggage.

Anonymous

#15 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Easy-Off BAM spray in the purple bottle with orange head is an available sub for CLR. I've bought it at Sedena, Ched & MEGA in the past. MEGA stocks refills, too.

It is an acid, so use caution. Made by Reckitt Benckiser. Safety information: Link

It can be used to clean: Wash Basins, Toilets, Window grills, Pipes, Taps, Bath tubs & showers, Ceramic floors and tiles, Stainless steel, Glass and Plastic. It is NOT suitable for: Marble surfaces, Surfaces sensitive to acids, Enamel showers, Aluminium fixtures, Natural stones, Zinc plated metals, Textiles and Carpets.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Deb...upon your recommendation, I just purchased, and tested the grout with BAM...

I am now a BAM girl...it does work on grout, and tile.

I left it on for about 10 mins, didn't see the BIG change, so I used a tooth brush (don't tell my husband, it was his...just kidding)...and that made a huge difference in the results.

Still a little elbow grease, but Bam does works well, and does not have any nasty smell either.

Thanks...good recommendation!

Anonymous

#17 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

CLR is an acid...it is diluted, and put into a spray bottle.

It would be the same product with the same properties as Muratic Acid, and water. It does have a few more ingredients.

Not criticizing you, and I would love to purchase CLR here...but I am kind of shocked that you got this through inspection at the airport.

We had RidX in our luggage to use in our septic tank, HLS pulled that our of our luggage.

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#18 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

Again these products were disguised in wine bottles, sealed very well and we had no issues.
We had a brand new house and I wanted to be able to clean off the grout "shadows" on the tile that were left on by the tile guys...all worked well..we just have to remember to label these wine bottles, so we don;t think its wine...LOL
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

there really is so much we miss, and need here...

They do have Scrubbing Bubbles at the supermarket on 30th. I use that on tile in the shower and it works well.

Try the BAM...it might do the job for you for maintenance, now that the hard work is done.

Anonymous

#20 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Lots of threads about tile here so I just picked this one.....
Here is a site with more than you'll ever need to know about Tile..
http://www.ctasc.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users