• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Lenny

Layback Lenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

My girlfriend and I are going to be there in Feb. and she is looking to buy a new swimsuit or 2. Where can she find something not overly expensive but not cheap, either. What are the prices like for those?

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Based on what I've seen, the prices are pretty high if there isn't a sale going on. I think the cheapest regular price I've seen is about $50. The cutest ones I've seen are at the surf shop, Puro Mar, at the corner of Calle 3 and Avenida 5. Cute clothes, shoes, and jewelry as well.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

Anything of any quality is going to cost at least 50% more on the island than in the States.
Mike Beasley
Twitter: CZMDM
Facebook: Cozumel Diving

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

• Members
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

you can buy bathing suits at the grocery stores here for about 15 bucks. All the same style, no support.

You can go to Toes and Nose which has killer two piece suites, or shop at Punta Langota which is where I buy about 2 to 3 suites at a time. I pay about $40 to $60 bucks a piece for a suit.

You have to remember, we live in bathing suites here, so having 4 or 5 isn't a problem, and once a year.

I would check at Macy's (cruise ware is out now) or one of the discount stores in the states.

Then have your friend shop for a REALLY HOT SUIT HERE.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

try funky bazaar near corpus church they had a good range and very reasonable

#6 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Does your girlfriend have a tiny bikini body? If not don't count on finding a suit - that is my experience. I have had terrible luck finding clothes in Cozumel other than T-shirts. I'm not a big woman either. Granted I don't shop alot for clothes there but when I have, mmmm not good. A couple years ago my husband needed socks. I bought him the biggest size of men's socks at Chedraui. They wouldn't even fit on his foot and barely fit me (size 8 shoe). Last year I shopped for a skirt in Playa del Carmen (Melody (?) store, there's one in Coz too) and finally found one after rejecting many as overly matronly or suited for a teenager. One had a broken zipper. Maybe things have changed... I would definitely check out the places mentioned above, but I'm just saying don't COUNT on finding clothes - especially a swim suit - that fits.
Christine.... . `. ><((((> . `. <))))>< ,. .. `. . `. <))))>< . `.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
...Rita Mae Brown

#7 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

I can't comment on swim suit options on the island, as I have only checked them out a few times while on the island and don't know the current situation but.... There are several companies that are promoting swim suits right now because spring break is right around the corner. Victoria's Secret, Venus, Body Central are just few that sell swim suits year round and VS is promoting swim suits right now. You can check them out online. Shipping is fast so you shouldn't have issues with time if you look soon. I have also bought a swim suit from Ebay... there is a lot of suits available from a gazillon sellers (new ones.. not used.. ewww!) Good luck

#8 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'm also remembering a post on another board several years ago of 2 visitors (now friends), Al & Lynette, from Minnesota. Their luggage was lost, so they went shopping to find some basic replacements. Al, a modest man, was reduced to buying the only men's bathing suit that fit him - a tight, shiny silver number that left nothing to the imagination if you know what I mean. His report was hysterical, and also a lesson learned for me. I now carry on a pair of shorts and a bathing suit in case it happens to my checked luggage.
:lol:
Christine.... . `. ><((((> . `. <))))>< ,. .. `. . `. <))))>< . `.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
...Rita Mae Brown

#9 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Oh my, YES! When we were traveling back and forth, our carry ons ALWAYS had a swimsuit, towel, and change of clothes in there. Checkin-in was always after we arrived, so we just went to the restroom, changed clothes, and hung at the pool until they were ready for us. They kept our luggage at the desk. It's also a good idea, though, in the event your luggage doesn't make it. That happened to me on the last trip.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#10 Layback Lenny

Layback Lenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the help, folks. Much to my surprise when we went shopping at Kohls the suits were out in abundance. In Feb.? Who'da thunk it.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

• Members
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

It's called Cruise Wear...when ever the snow flies in the great white north...people take vacations.

If you take a vacation, then your going to need shorts, T's, and swimsuits.

Dec, Jan, Feb, and March are the best time to buy swim suites.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Retailers start stocking summer items in late January/early February (at least in Texas) so my suggestion is buy in the States or online before you leave. What I've seen in Coz is not anything I'd want to spend the $ on.

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

when i was working as a DM here and went thru swimsuits like mad, i only bought them at ron jons on the corner of melgar and 4. usually had last years model (who cares!) and they were always $40. VERY GOOD QUALITY. when you are diving and putting on/taking off wetsuits day in and day out, over a bikini, they get worn out. these would last me a long time. and many were even reversible.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users