• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

Anyone have experience with both? We have been to cozumel a few times and are considering staying in Isla Mujeres for a few days next trip. How do the two compare?

#2 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Although I live in Cozumel, I go to Isla Mujeres frequently. They both have a more laid back island atmosphere as compared to the fast paced mainland areas. Isla Mujeres is much smaller and less populated. They get more day trippers that visit since it's such a short ferry ride from Cancun. Cozumel's day trippers (if you can call them that) tend to be people from the cruise ships. Both have nice reefs for diving, but Cozumel has more reefs to choose from. Isla Mujeres offers whale shark tours during this time of year, which is something Cozumel doesn't see. Both Islands have a Punta Sur park. Both neither are very much alike. The one in Cozumel is a natural area with undeveloped beaches, a nautical museam, and areas for crocodiles and flamingos. The Punta Sur park in Isla Mujeres is where you'll find their with dolfins company, a zip line tour, and snorkel tours. Isla Mujeres has lots of great seafood restaurants. They have about 5 or 6 different fisherman's coops and fishing has always been a strong point for the island people. Cozumel has less fishing coops and although you can definatley find fishermen here, I think there are more in Isla Mujeres. Both are beautiful places to visit or live. If I didn't live in Cozumel, I would probably live in Isla Mujeres. :)
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#3 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I think it would be a good place to check out for a few days. any reccomendations on places to stay? We prefer condos but it looks like the hotels there are about the size of some condos so that would be ok.

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

After many trips to Coz we will be going to IM in August. Plenty of hotel info at islamujeres.info

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#5 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the link.

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I've been to IM once, and i was pretty bored with it...

I always find some fun adventure in Czm no matter how many times I've been.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#7 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have everything booked so I guess we will see what we like better. We are staying in Isla Mujeres 6/10-6/15, Tulum 6/15-6/17, and finally Cozumel 6/17-6/23. i know we will have a great trip and I am looking forward to it.

#8 JMCADAM

JMCADAM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Do you fly into Cancun? Please post your report afterward.

#9 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Last August I spent 4 nights on IM - mainly to snorkel with the whale sharks and do a look-see. The whale shark adventure was fantastic - hope you're planning on it! - but I found the going-to-the-beach arrangement a little eh? You are required to pay for a chair & umbrella, THEN order food, drink etc... from the concession. My experience in Coz is you get the chair & umbrella by ordering food, drink etc... Also, the water was so shallow and therefore warm (and the air was so effing hot) that going in wasn't that refreshing. My last day I ended up hanging at my hotel pool and nice AC cool room reading my book rather than go back to the beach. My next stop was diving Cozumel so I didn't feel deprived. I do recommend renting the golf cart and going around the island, and there is a turtle farm that is more like an aquarium that I saw on another person's trip report pix I wish I had visited. IMHO it's always worth going places at least once to see what's what.

I flew a red-eye into Cancun arriving around 11am and took the ADO Bus to the downtown bus station. From there I caught a cab to the ferry dock and over to Isla Mujeres.

Get some maps: The IM one is very worth it. Maybe Riviera Maya for Tulum, though it's a short stay for you. Whatever you do it sounds like a fun trip.

http://www.cancunmap.com
Christine.... .· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
...Rita Mae Brown

#10 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

We love the assortment of restaurants on the pedestrian street. The small, laid-back feeling of the island is great. The whale shark trip is a fantastic experience. But, the water does not compare to Cozumel, either in variety or quality.

#11 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Do you fly into Cancun? Please post your report afterward.

I will fly into Cancun and fly home from Cozumel.

#12 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

We are planning on getting a golf cart, going to the turtle place, and swimming with the whale sharks. i was just going to use the bus to get from the airport to the ferry. I found a deal at Villa Rolandi and cancelled my reservation at Privilege Aluxe. I would never spend as much as they want per night at Rolandi but after finding it for $180 per night I had to book it. Villa Rolandi arranged a private transfer for me to their yacht. I wouldnt normally book a private transfer but this will be the first day of our honeymoon so I decided to spend a few extra dollars.

When we leave Isla we will be going to Tulum. I think we will take the bus unless I can find a better option.

#13 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Chech out Playa Lancheros on "Isla" for lunch and a cold beer or 2. Great selection of seafood...., we like the fish "tikin xic", have never been there in the evening.

Been doing "Isla" for over 30 years, I still enjoy going over there.

#14 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

For a very late update we LOVED Isla Mujeres. We are going back in March and renting a house with three other couples. My trip reports are posted on tripadvisor. My username there is ineedasol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users